French Lavender

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Pixie, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Pixie

Pixie Gardener

Ratings:
    +400
    Hi All

Can anyone tell me how to collect seeds from French Lavender, i had a brief look today, but couldn't see any seeds.

Thanks alot.

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Hi Pixie

I should have thought you might be better off taking cuttings. French lavender is quite easy. It may be a little late in the season to do cuttings now, but you could give them a go. Remove some shoots, preferably with a heel, strip the lower leaves and dip the stems into hormone rooting compound. Fill a smallish pot with around half a dozen cuttings (keep them small, around 4-5 cm). Some people cover the pot with a plastic bag to prevent water loss - but I find that lavender doesn't like this much, being a plant of fairly hot, dry conditions.

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I agree with ClaraLou Pixie. Lavender is quite easy from cuttings.
    I think you should still have time to do it - well I hope so as I only did mine last week.

4. Pixie

Pixie Gardener

Ratings:
    +400
    Thanks very much for the replies, sorry i took so long to come back, i've been away. I have followed the advice and taken a few cuttings, fingers crossed. Thanks again.