Fresh Horse Manure - which plants would be okay?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Quaedor36, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Quaedor36

Quaedor36 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just taken delivery of a load of fresh horse manure, which I want to spread over my allotment, in the next few days (when the rain has finally gone!).

My question is, which plants would be okay to sow/plant in this soil, next year, and, which, definitely, wouldn't be? I can, obviously, leave areas clear for those plants that wouldn't be - if I know which they are?

TIA

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I think if you spread it now there shouldn't be any problem as most of the concentrated nitrogen will leach out before next spring. In the past when I had access to fresh manure I used it on my brassica bed as brassicas are nitrogen hungry.

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    The best spuds my dad and I ever grew were grown almost exclusively in nearly fresh horse manure.

4. Quaedor36

Quaedor36 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both!

I shall go up, probably, next Tuesday (which seems to be when the rian might stop!) to spread it over as much of the allotment as I can. I asked the question because I understand that you shouldn't manure where parsnips and carrots are to be sown, but I wondered if it might be okay, even for them, by the time I get round to sowing them.

I think it's only root crops anyway but, as I say, if I spread it now and sow in spring I don't believe that I'll have a problem - but I am uncertain.

Thanks again

5. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Quaedor36

I wouldn't spread fresh manure where I intended to plant root crops like parsnips or carrots for two reasons:

1 - fresh manure contains lots of nitrogen and the above crops don't need huge amounts of nitrogen. It'll just give them wonderful leaves!

2 - fresh manure is likely to make carrots fork and grow into very strange shapes. I learnt this the hard way very early in my gardening life.

I would leave freshly manured ground for at least a whole growing season before planting parsnips and carrots in it.

6. Quaedor36

Quaedor36 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks Flinty,

I had thought of avoiding those areas where I intend to plant root crops, for the reasons you said, but it's good to have confirmation.

I thought that it would be okay for all other crops (other than root vegetables) but I wasn't sure. The manure on the rest of the ground will have what remains of this year and up until, most probably, March to rot down, so I should be alright.

Thanks very much for your reply!