Frogbit or Water Soldier? Floating plant help needed.

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Spotty, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Spotty

Spotty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I've got a smallish pond about 6x4 feet which I would like to encourage wildlife into but the pond planting doesn't look great. I've got a marsh marigold, a small water-lilly and some oxygenating plants but, apart from duckweed, no floating plants. I can't make my mind up whether to go for Frogbit or Water-Soldier (or both!). If anyone could advise me I'd be really grateful.

I'm also thinking about getting Water-Forget-Me-Not and any thoughts on that plant would also be welcome.

My main concerns for Frogbit,Water-Soldier Water-Forget-Me-Not are:

Is it invasive? Is it good for wildlife? Will it suit a smallish pond.

Thanks.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I have had Water Soldier in my pond for nearly 20 years and it have never got invasive. It does produce off spring but not that many and it is an interesting plant floating at the surface like a pineapple plant and then sinking down to the bottom during the winter. Frogbit likes sun and won't grow in my partially shady pond although I have tried. I would have thought any tendency to be invasive would be dealt with easily with a small pond. Water-Forget-Me-Not I would recommend as it is a nice plant.:biggrin:

3. Spotty

Spotty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I think I'll try all three now.

4. KingEdward

KingEdward Gardener

Ratings:
    +67
    I think you'd be fine with all three of those species. If you want to encourage wildlife, one important point is that it's particularly important to have plants with lots of underwater structure for small animals to live/hide in. Water Lilies aren't so good in this respect since they have floating leaves but not much underneath, plus they can shade out more useful plants below. In moderation that's fine, of course, just watch it doesn't take over too much (hopefully not if it's one of the less vigorous varieties).

• Like Like x 1
    • Gretzky

Gretzky Gardener

Protective Coatings Inspector
      Ratings:
      +278
      I can`t say about the other two as I don`t have a pond, but I do have a 2m long aquarium and the Frogbit will devour any excess nitrates and help keep the algae down. Doesn`t need a huge amount of light to thrive. That is Amazon Frogbit I`m on about though but I guess they`ll work on the same principle.