From a novice gardener

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by keith, Mar 16, 2005.

1. keith

keith Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just to say 'hello' to you all, and I am a real novice when it comes to growing anything in a greenhouse, (1st time this year)

2. juliendave

juliendave Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Keith...Good luck with your greenhouse growing x

3. Ambersparkle

Ambersparkle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Let us know how you get on, what do you intend to grow,? Tina.

4. alan

alan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    keith
    only my second year had good rewards last year just using cheap grow bags and feeding regularly with tomorite and watering every day
    this year trying ring culture method hoping to cut down on amount of watering due to working away from home for parts of the week
    all the best let us know how it goes

5. cazza

cazza Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Keith,

I inherited a greenhouse 2 years ago and that's me just clearing it out!
    My husband did find it extremely useful to do DIY outside without getting wet.
    Hoping this summer to grow something in there but not sure what??

6. Ambersparkle

Ambersparkle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    After all my trials, trying to get a Greenhouse this year, I was told by 'Greenhousedirect' that I could not get delivery till June, so decided that was too late for this year, and went to FOCUS' to look for a four tier Mini Greenhouse, my Flabber was well and truly gasted when I beheld a Plastic covered Greenhouse, for the sum of �£58 quidlets, went inside for a try, staging seemed firm enough, I was quite impressed, so bought it, and even more impressed that it was "0 percent or something similar, off day and actually got it for 53, getting it put up tomorrow, so am a happy Bunny, has anyone had experience of anything similar. Anyway, am sure it will fill the bill for this year, and solve a problem as I have Tomatoes, Cucumbers and Peppers, waiting to go in. Tina

7. Grottybags

Grottybags Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a four tier mini-greenhouse, which I've outgrown.

I looked at the big thing you're talking about Tina, Homebase do one, but I've not got the space, so we're getting a potting shed to replace our existing shed instead.

Emma

8. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI Keith,
    Good luck with your greenhouse,I find mine a real little escape place and find gardening really relaxing.This is my 3rd yr and i have now got an automatic timer sprinkler fitted although when i am at home i like to still do the watering.
    Mine is 6x8 and is full.I buy small plugs from gardening direct and have been growing them on.
    Waiting for the risk of frost to pass then I will have more room again.I have only just joined this site and have found it very good.My dad is a keen gardener and i am always asking his advise so it is nice to be able to give him a break and pester other people.
    All the best Jacqui

9. keith

keith Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    And a big thank-you to everyone, Jacqui, Juliendave,Tina, Cazza, Emma and SteveW who's advice I took and planted my spindly tomatoes up to the first pair of leaves, and sure enough they are going great.The greenhouse is full, all 'vegs' and flowers I grew from seed, so I am dead 'chuffed' with myself, just waiting for the better weather to plant outside.
    Thanks again,best regards, Keith.