FROM THE OLD BOOK

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi, I've been browsing through my old gardening books which go back to the 1850's and after posting "Costs of Gardening 1920 -2011" which showed the costs of running an allotment back in the 1920's I thought it might be a good idea to keep browsing through the books and post extracts from them which might raise your eyebrows on the cost of things in the old days, the comments of the then experts, the methods they used and the chemicals they used, so hopefully the extracts will be interesting and cause you to comment on anything that my browsing brings up and maybe give you an insight of what went on way back then. One last thing! - the pound just after the Great War had 20 shillings, 240 pence to the pound, 12 pence to the shilling, the Guinea, halfpenny, farthing and sovereign were in use!

Cost of vegetable 1918/1920
    s d
    "10 heads of lettuce at 1d 10p
    1 peck of peas 2/6p
    1 peck of broad beans 2/6p
    2 stone early potatoes 4s 8p "

An extract about bees from the same period which might surprise you when you consider the article was published more than 90 odd years ago.

"One hundred years ago the little brown bees and their straw skeps were essential features in the gardens
    of both cottager and squire. Today the reverse holds good, and owing to a variety of causes the bees and
    their hives are conspicuous as a rule by their absence and we are the poorer for it"

The above has shattered my illusion of the old days being full of the droning of the bees!

Here's an extract about birds which has changed some
    what!

"The Magpie is a rare bird in many districts. It goes for cherries like the Rook, to which it is allied, but like owls and hawks should never be destroyed."

Makes you think???

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Very interesting. I have no idea how much a 'peck of peas' is though. I guess its a bit like 'Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepper':)

The bees bit is interesting. I thought the decline of the bees was a very recent thing. Still, recent or not so recent, I reckon we still need to protect them as best we can. We'd be stuffed without them.

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    A bushel and a peck are the old measure for dry weight goods. A bushel is 8 gallons and a peck 2 gallons ( 9 litres ). Reminds me of when I was at junior school , being taught length in rods , poles , perches and chains ! :scratch:. A chain is the length of a cricket pitch 22 yards. Maths was hard work in imperial units , can anyone still remember how to multiply old £SD money ! :what:

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,174
    Hi Clueless,
    I thought everyone knew a peck is a quarter of a bushel!! :heehee: :loll:

Whoops!! I forgot you aren't all as old as me :rofl:

It was a dry measure of 2 gallons (used to be measured in a special container but quite often referred to a standard sack of grain that was about a third of a cubic ft).
    I remember when I was young that an allotment holder was carrying a bucket of spuds and said that it was approx a peck.

5. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    RE: FROM THE OLD BOOK [2]

Here's an extract on how and when Allotments were officially recognised:

"ALLOTMENTS ACT 1922 - Allotment holders are to some extent protected by the Allotments Act of 1922 which provides for compensation to them in certain cases on the termination of their tenancies. It also lays down the rules for the determination of land owned by local authorities. The Act further lays down the rules for the compulsory acquisition of Allotments in certain cases. It compels local councils to establish local Allotment Committees, where necessary, in every borough or urban district with a population of 10,000 and upwards, unless exempted by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries after consultation with the Ministry of Health.
    One section of the Act provides that any person who by act done without lawful authority or by negligence causes damage to any allotment garden, crops or fences, or buildings thereon, shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding £5, but this provision will not apply unless notice of the provision is conspicuously displayed on the allotment garden."

A bit "dry" but you can see how long it took after the Great War to push official protection for allotment holders through Parliament - even though allotments came to the rescue during the nation food crisis in that period.

Here's a bit about the National Allotment Society. [Again 1920]

"This Society is the Headquarters of the Allotment movement in England and Wales. It's object is the circulation of information on all matters appertaining to the Allotment movement, and the securing of improved legislation and better conditions for Allotments. A monthly bulletin is issued free to all members.The National Allotments Journal is published quarterly, price 8d, per dozen. Subscriptions: Individual Members 5s minimum per annum, in addition to taking up 2s 6d share on admission. For Associates: One 2s 6d for a fully paid up share when joining, and an annual affiliation contribution based on 3d per member"

Does anyone know if this Society is still in existence? The way Councils are closing Allotments in great numbers during this recession I doubt it.

Here's a lovely recipe they used for insecticide during the early 19th century onwards:

"ARSENATE OF LEAD A stomach insecticide used for the destruction of caterpillars, beetles, sawfly larvae and all kinds of leaf eating insects. A heavy white powder, very slightly soluble in water. Arsenate of lead is sold in three forms - powder, paste, and cream. Fine division of the substance is very important.as the capacity for remaining suspended in water for a reasonably long time is dependent upon this quality. In arsenic paste the amount od arsenic, expressed as arsenic oxide, is usually about 15 per cent and of such a paste from 4-8 ozs would be required to 10 gallons of water. Arsenic of lead should be applied as a fine misty spray, the object being to cover the foliage without allowing the spray to drip from the leaves"

I hope they washed their hands afterwards!!

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    RE: FROM THE OLD BOOK [2]

Is this them?
    http://www.nsalg.org.uk/

7. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Imperial? whats that...?:rofl:

all Gobbledygook (yes I googled the spelling :heehee: ) to me:DOH:

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,174
    Why? Is there something that has replaced it? :scratch: :heehee: :rofl: :rofl:

9. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    When I first started work we'd measure in imperial units from drawings (to scales like ?" to 1') in feet and inches, then multiply say 1'8" x 3'7" x 6" to get cubic feet, added them all together then divide the total by 27 to get cubic yards, then multiplied that by the cost/cubic yard, which could be something like £1 7s 6½ p,

And that's before electronic calaculators were available!

10. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,174

And we had to do that in our heads, with one eye closed and standing on one leg! :D

The youngsters today don't know what hard work is :heehee: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

11. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumbsup: Great thread Armandii.. I love looking back through the old books.. The weights measures & money had far more interesting names then..!! :D
    Hence the tongue twister rhyme...
    [size=large]

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepper;

A peck of pickled pepper Peter Piper picked;

If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepper

Where’s the peck of pickled pepper Peter Piper picked?
    [/size]

12. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,174

Hi Marley

We had to learn that in school and I can still say it clearly and get through it in 7 seconds - just timed myself :heehee:

There were lots of tongue twisters that we had to learn. Like 'She sells sea shells....' and 'I want a proper cup of coffee....' :)

13. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I am not a Pheasant Plucker,

I'm the Pheasant pluckers son.

And i'm only Plucking Pheasants

till the Pheasant Plucker comes.[hr]
    It started with a Farthing which was quarter of a penny

2 farthings made a Half D or Happeny

2 Happenys made a Penny or 1d

3 Pennys made a 3d or Thruppenny bit

2 Thruppenny bits made a Sixpenny bit or Tanner

2 Tanners made a Shilling or Bob

2 Bob made a 2 Shilling Bit or Florin

A Florin and a Tanner made a Half Crown

2 Half Crowns made a Crown

4 Crowns made a Pound

A Pound and a Bob Made a Guinea.

Simples.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      So what's the minimum number of seeds you'd expect to germinate in the 1920's from a bushel of bought Runner Bean seeds? (I've just done the calc to keep my hand in).

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,838
      I'm not one for saying that it was good old days because it wasn't but I'd did, along with a lot of people, get taught to do mental arithmetic until it was a natural thing to do. It was nice to be in a meeting and when a problem was "thrown in the air" to be able to come up with the answer when everyone else was reaching for pen and paper or their calculator! It was nothing to do with brains but something that had be given to you by the teachers [God bless 'em]. It's surprising how many people don't know about the old worth of the pound. When it was decimalized the cost of living went up, which was inevitable when you reduced the pound from 240 pennies to just 100! I preferred the old system where you got more value for your money but then I also prefer Fahrenheit to Celsius because I think it's more exact!
      I couldn't say "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers" whenever I was sober, never mind when drunk!
      Ziggy, trust you to pick that rhyme!!!
      Jeez, Harry, I don't think my metal arithmetic stretched to that one of yours!