Front border evergreen ground cover

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Greenfield81, Aug 28, 2024.

1. Greenfield81

Greenfield81 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I’m looking for some evergreen ground cover to put at the front of my small border. Any suggestions? I saw this and wondered what it was? Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I can't see the plant well enough to offer an ID @Greenfield81 - would need a close up.
    However, can you give more info - the type of site, the aspect, approx. location and general climate/conditions, other nearby planting etc.
    These are all factors in making a useful suggestion. A photo of your site is always helpful too :smile:

3. Greenfield81

Ratings:
    +2
    It’s a south facing border - picture here to go in front of the echinacea

Attached Files:

4. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    This is where location matters though. I can grow things like Saxifraga urbium [London Pride] in a south facing border, but I know people in the south east of England can't because it gets far too dry.

You may find Ajuga would be ok, as it manages almost anything in terms of weather and conditions, but it can also spread vigorously, and will also spread into your grass.
    Some of the Aubrietas or Arabis would manage, and many Dianthus varieties, if your soil is suitable. All of them will also manage some degree of shade as long as they have decent light most of the time :smile:

5. Greenfield81

Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent, thank you for the suggestions. We’re in north London so can be quite dry in the summer.

6. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    The L. pride may struggle - I know someone in London mentioned a while ago that they can't have it in a sunny site, because it can't cope long term with that hot/dry weather. We don't have that problem here, hence my query :smile:
    The other plants manage well in drier conditions, but as with any plant in a drier spot, you'll have to keep an eye on it.
    I'm sure you'll get other suggestions though.

7. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,961
    A thyme might suit, either the common culinary thyme or one of the interesting varieties grown as alpines such as Thymus serpyllum coccineus (popular with bees and butterflies). They increase in width but don’t expand by runners so easy to control.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2024
  8. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,154
    I think, but photo is not very clear, that the plants at the front of the bed may be first/second year hebe. It may be difficult to prune these as 'ground cover'; rather more likely to become a hedge 500mm or more tall.