Front garden planting ideas please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Greenfield81, Jun 23, 2024.

1. Greenfield81

Greenfield81 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi. I’m looking for inspiration for planting ideas in my front garden - see picture.

For the pathway border I was thinking a low hedge approx 60cm high e.g Locinera Pilata or Euonymus Jean Hughes. Any experience of either?

Any suggestions for the square bed? I was thinking some evergreen shrubs to have yr round interest?

Attached Files:

2. Panda2

Panda2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +130
    Nandias are nice shrubs for year round interest and grow to different sizes depending on the variety. There is usually a touch of red to the leaves at some point in the year on most, which I like, but the Lemon & Lime one stays green. They are fairly maintenance free once established & don’t in my experience attract pests or diseases.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,865
      It would help to know whereabouts in UK you are, Greenfield81. Also whether the area is sunny or shady. The soil looks good..is it deep?

• Greenfield81

Ratings:
      +2
      Hi. The garden is North West facing and based in North London. Freshly laid soil and relatively deep.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,865
      Ah right.....that probably rules out sun worshippers then, but opens up possibilities for some slightly tender plants. I'd go for a scented low hedge....Sarcoccoca hookeriana digyna is a bit taller than most Christmas box and smells wonderful in winter. Doesn't need trimming, either! Evergreen shrubs: a Camellia as a centre feature? They tolerate neutral soil quite well with a couple of ericaceous feeds per year. Hebe. Pittosporums 'Tom Thumb' or tobira nanum. One of the smaller cookianum Phormiums....so many plants, so little space :biggrin:
      ETA Agree with Panda2 about Nandina. Firepower is an old cultivar but reliable as long as it doesn't get too dry in summer.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Greenfield81

Ratings:
        +2
        Thanks all, lots of food for thought. Garden upon checking is actually west facing - morning shade and afternoon sun which might change the game slightly. I was thinking hydrangea as a relatively low maintenance plant, long flowering ish with some winter interest. Maybe with some companion planting? Thanks for the advice everyone!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024 at 12:58 PM
      • AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
        +377
        I think it might be a bit too sunny for hydrangeas, especially at this time of year when it would get several hours of sunshine. I stand to be corrected though.
        How about Escallonia ? There are several varieties with pink/red or white flowers.

• Like Like x 2
        • Greenfield81

Ratings:
          +2
          Based on the size of this west facing flowerbed (180cm x 180cm) how many of these shrubs should I really be buying/ planting? One alone seems to nearly fill the space? I assume a mix of evergreen and then something more colourful for spring/summer? I like the idea of a centrepiece? Bay tree perhaps? Or maybe an acer - but I heard they can get very big and this is only 3-4 ft from the house.

• katecat58

katecat58 Gardener

Ratings:
          +242
          I think a standard rose would look stunning. I'm sure there are experts who could suggest varieties for a west facing garden.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +2,780
          Re your hedging - Lonicera pileatas tend to be more spreading rather than upright. The other types -ie Lon. nitida, are better and will make a small, neat hedge with regular trimming.
          They can get quite sizeable, but make good narrow hedges if kept controlled from the start, and don't mind being hard pruned either.

• Like Like x 1
          • Greenfield81

Ratings:
            +2
            Do you find the lon nitida a better choice than the Euonymus green spire? I’m looking for a low upright hedge and quite formal looking

• fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +2,780
            I've never used Euonymus as hedging, but it can certainly be used for that.
            It may depend on the variety as to how well it works, but L. Green Spire tends to be naturally a more conical shape, so that should be fine, and would probably need less attention. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
            • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +2,068
              I’ve got a low hedge of Euonymus Green Spire in my garden. It is very attractive, brighter than box, but it is also quite slow growing.

• Like Like x 1
              • Greenfield81

Ratings:
                +2
                Yes, I see they sell them in a pack of 6 for around £15 which is reasonable, but they’re only 10-15cm tall. I am wondering how long it’s going to take before they get to a foot tall or more. Lon Nitida probably faster growing but also more time consuming to keep neat and tidy. Also struggling to find them in the local garden centre! Decisions, decisions…

• Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +2,068
                I got some very small plants in 9cm pots a couple of years ago for £1 each. They are bulking up nicely and are about a foot high now. If you're impatient @Greenfield81, go for more mature plants!

DSC01274.jpeg DSC01273.jpeg

• Like Like x 3