Front Garden Project

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Sogni verdi, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Sogni verdi

Sogni verdi Gardener

Delivery driver
    Ratings:
    +105
    Having completed, well almost, my Tropical garden makeover, I'm now considering getting stuck into the front garden.
    So, some background information. The house faces a N.E direction, so prevailing winds (SW) come from behind the house. We are at the top of a hill in South Norfolk (yes, contrary to rumours, we do have (small) hills in this county ) so are often exposed to strong winds! The soil generally seems of good quality though it doesn't retain much moisture. The garden is not actually square with the kerb side edge measuring 6.27m and the deepest edge measuring 8.48m.
    Our main issue is that because there is a long strip of grass in front of the neighbouring 2 houses, people don't seem to recognise this as being somebody's lawn, often walking along the lawn edge, allowing their dogs free roam and quite often using it as a toilet (the dogs, not the people lol). We don't want any hard structure/fencing of any kind. We do have a couple of Phormium Tenax Variegatum which we are considering putting on the front corners. This will give a nod to our back garden theme, but obviously we are ruling a Tropical front garden out. A Mediterranean theme or something in keeping with the more modern appearance of the house would be desirable. I also would like to keep a decent section of lawn. A small hedge along the kerbside is an option, but I'd like to get plants structured around the Phormium.
    Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you in advance.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Sogni verdi

Sogni verdi Gardener

Delivery driver
      Ratings:
      +105
      Hopefully you can see some images now?

Attached Files:

• Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,085
      DSC01036.jpeg Have you considered using ornamental grasses @Sogni verdi? I find that they go well with Phormiums and could possibly suit your desired modern appearance. I grow many in my garden as they can tolerate the dry, sandy soil and occasional high winds. The easiest grasses to grow for me are varieties of Miscanthus, Calamagrostis and Panicum. All they need is an annual cut down to ground level in late February. I’ve used Calamagrostis Karl Foerster to create a hedge in my front garden, shown above.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
      • Plantminded

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,085
        A Stipa Gigantea would look good in the middle of your lawn too. Mine is too small to make much of an impression at the moment but have a look online for photos. I think that @LunarSea has a nice example.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Sogni verdi

Sogni verdi Gardener

Delivery driver
          Ratings:
          +105
          Thank you for the great input.
          I have planted some 'Karl Foerster' in my back garden recently as i liked the description of it. Differing grasses certainly do appeal and may well be the way forward.

I've been having a little play with my garden planner program earlier, ironically I'd placed 3 grasses centrally. Any further thoughts or potential pitfalls in my design would be welcome.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
          • Plantminded

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,085
            I like your design @Sogni verdi and am pleased to see those grasses in your plan! Your Phormiums may need a bit more space as they expand, but they can easily be divided. If that’s a Cordyline in the middle, beware, they can suffer in severe winters and look a bit tatty. A dwarf pampas grass may be an alternative or a colourful shrub like Cotinus Grace.

• Like Like x 1