Front Garden Project

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ballistic_bro, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ballistic_bro

ballistic_bro Gardener

IT
    Ratings:
    +241
    We moved into our house about 8 years ago and spent some time on the back garden but left the front as it was. It was covered in weed fabric with stones on top. A stone paving circle was centered in the middle with some sort of weeping type tree planted in the centre.
    Down the left (as you look @ the house) was a row of conifers.

Last year, after a few debates about the front, I took the chainsaw to the firs and bagged up all the stones.

With a new baby on the way, suddenly work on the house took president over the garden, so it was left with a few tree stumps and mud piles until April this year.

Removing the stumps took some work, but as they were dead and rotting, wasn't as big a headache as I first envisaged.

Some of the earth was removed, along with all the weeds, and then I dug in some manure, compost and top soil. I've been quite successful with growing plants in my little lean-too greenhouse this year, so a lot of the planting in the front has come from there. Plus a few choice purchases with some birthday money! :)

Here's a couple of post-stump, pre-full dig over photos :-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a couple about 2 weeks after laying the lawn and planting the front and back borders. The side border was planted about 2 weeks prior to the lawn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Planting includes :-

Side border - Sunflowers (Mixed), Snowball corn flowers, Calendula(mixed), burgundy poppies, Cosmos,mixed sweet peas around the tee-pee.

Back border - Echinacea(Tomato Soup), Astilbe, Japanese Burnet, mini-Dahlia, chrysanthemum, salvia, couple of others which escape me @ the moment.

Front border - burgundy poppies, cosmos, dwarf sunflowers, salvia (red), coreopsis, phlox, calendula.

So far I'm pleased with how it looks, looking forward to seeing everything in bloom. Plus the troughs that I built, a few years ago, seem to coming into their own now, especially the dicentra in the centre.

It's been a good little project for me, I've learnt a fair bit, with what I've grown this year, and I just hope the lawn and perenials keep on keeping on.:yess:

• Like Like x 2
    • Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
      Ratings:
      +1,667
      That looks great......alot of hard work, as you said, but the end result is beautiful......well done!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
        +1,019
      • CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
        Ratings:
        +306
        Looks fantastic...a really thorough job, and a nice little area to experiment with over time too :)

And I am always partial to Cosmos ....:heehee: :)... have you looked at dwarf cosmos too? Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
        • ballistic_bro

ballistic_bro Gardener

IT
          Ratings:
          +241
          Thanks, and no I haven't. But I will now!:)
          Can you recommend any in particular?