frost and snow..

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by wildflower, Jan 24, 2007.

1. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone give me some good tips on taking frost and snow photos i failed dismal with my last frost photos they came out blurred..Thanks in advance..

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Correct exposure is the key to good snow photography. Cameras with automatic exposures will always expose for mid tones and so will turn snow grey - not white. Have a look at your camera's instruction book and see if there is a setting for snow or beach scenes. If there is, then that's the one to go for. If not, you will have to go to manual exposure and over expose by a stop or two. Then you will get white show.

You mentioned blurred snow shots. Perhaps you were shivering ;) . No - the reason was probably becuse your camera's automatic focussing couldn't find anything to focus on. It needs some contrast to focus on so look for a dark/light contrast somewhere in the centre of the scene . If there is nothing but white, then set your camera to infinity for landscapes. If you are wanting to photograph something closer like a branch of a tree covered in snow, then you have got to get the focus sharp. Look for contrast or go to manual focus if your camera lets you.

Good luck - good snow shots are not easy and bad ones are so disappointing. The best ones are taken when the sun is shining - that's when the snow sparkles.

3. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks i have just been out and actually taken some decent frost ones i have no snow yet to experiment on.. :( The ones you did in the crystal forest were excellent as you captured frost on berrys and thats where i have a problem..leaves and berrys..but will definately keep trying..i will get my manual out later..I also have a decent camera that isnt a digital so i am going to put a new battery in that and have a go ..

4. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I just took this one the frost isnt as heavy as i would like ..

[​IMG]

5. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Some great tips HB - just waiting for the snow now.... :rolleyes: I love the colours in your pic WF - we havent even got any frost here :(

6. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Just a little snow this morning. No sun and overcast skies mean that the snow will look grey as it reflects the light and colour of the sky. A blue sky will really make a snow scene sparkle. In these shots, I have tried to brighten the snow by over exposing and a black border helps to make the snow look whiter than it is.

My hornbeam avatar

[​IMG]

Approaching the forest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How the mighty are fallen - a victim of last week's storm

[​IMG]

7. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HB>>AWESOME.PICTURES .its a shame about that tree though !! Their are some like that by me..I am so jealous you have snow..grrrrrr

8. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Snow has vanished already - now it's just grey and damp again

9. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    HB .Great photo's ,easy on the eyes.

10. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    HB.Brilliant photos of the snow and Hatfield Forest...The sun is shining here,so our snow is fast vanishing.It is bitterly cold though.

11. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    HB I see you use the same camera as one of mine.
    Did you use a tripod for the pic of the fallen tree cos at 1/36 you must have a very steady hand. It's brilliantly sharp [​IMG]

12. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    No Dave -I didn't use a tripod. Camera was a Nikon Coolpix

13. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    The 7900 I think. It's an amazing piece of technology for something that fits in a shirt pocket. My only complaint about it is that it doesn't have a dioptre adjustment on the EVF and I have to use the LCD screen most of the time.

14. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes it is the 7900 and it is brilliant. I use it much more than my bigger camera because it is so compact and so versatile. It has the largest range of programmeed applications that I know of

I always use the LCD screen.

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    excellent photos hb, great to see the tree as your avatar in a winter scene, well done.