1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen lawn

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Steven_mc, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Steven_mc

Steven_mc Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there, This my first ever post on this forum. I've just moved into a new build home and have just turfed my back garden which I had done 2 months ago. It's rooting in well and and the joints are gradually joining together. The reason for this post is because with the last couple of freezing days the turf is now frozen and I've stupidly walked over it to pick up a few leaves and it's now left my footprint marks indented into the turf. I've been reading that it's a no no to wak on the turf whilst it's frozen as it can ruin the turf. Can anyone tell me if that is the case me is there anything I can do to rectify it? I'm just hoping that when the frost thaws the grass will be fine!! Any help would greatly appreciated!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Hi Steven, you can damage grass by walking on in when there's a frost........but it's not the end of the World, or the grass. You'll be surprised just how quickly it will recover from being walked on. I have to walk on my grass to be to my Bird Feeders whether it's mild or freezing and I can assure you that lawn grass will still grow strongly, but it's best not to do it too much.:dunno::snorky:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Steven_mc

Steven_mc Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Thanks, Yeah it's just a few footsteps but I'm kicking myself doing it!! Hopefully like you say it's not the end of the world. It's my first ever garden from living in a flat previously so it's my new pride and joy now!! My wife thinks I'm nuts haha!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          I think it's how we all thought when getting our first lawn.:heehee: Having said that, when I bought my new build house the "garden" was just a wasteland of builders materials, plastic sheeting, compressed clay, sand, bricks etc, so it was about three years before we created a lawn.!!:coffee::snorky:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,485
          I agree with ARMANDII, it's best not to walk on frosted grass but it will recover. :dbgrtmb: No need to do anything.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            :sign0016: to GC @Steven_mc and congratulations on your new home and garden :thumbsup: Great start putting down turf!
            :heehee: She won't when the good weather is here and she can enjoy the garden and your beautiful lawn ;)

Hopefully you'll stick around and we'll be able to share your excitement and joys as you do more and more in the garden :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1