Frozen stewed apple to apple sauce?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Dec 21, 2013.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    We're trying to empty the freezer because it needs defrosting. Got a big bag of stewed apples in there. I've decided half will be for a crumble tonight, and I thought I might try to turn the other half into apple sauce to go with the roast pork for christmas dinner. Can I do that? If so, do I need to add anything?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a bit of sugar to taste. A bit of lemon juice might help stop it going brown.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Lurve frozen stewed apple!

Yes, just cook it, add sugar to taste (as Zigs, rightly, says). The only other thing I would add (and this is personal preference) is a clove - spice - just to give it a bit of punch!

Make a crumble from some of it, and/or a pie.

Plus, you can use it in your bread machine to make an apple and cinnamon loaf (fab toasted with a blob of real butter: or, use it to make cold cuts sandwiches from your roast pork; or, use the loaf to make a tasty "bread and butter pudding" ..... *drooling now* ) :whistle:

• Like Like x 2
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Our bread machine is in hibernation now until spring. The last few loaves we made in it didn't rise. Its because our kitchen is cold, too cold to wake the yeast up, so when you put it in the machine, it doesn't start to wake up until the bake part of the cycle starts, and by that time its too late, because it heats up too quickly and kills the yeast before its done its job.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Could you not use it in your sitting room? Dining room? Bedroom? :dunno:

Or, time it so you use it when your kitchen is warmer (e.g. when you are cooking a roast/casserole/etc)?

Have you tried adding the water at blood heat? That may make a difference, rather than using cold tap water.

• Agree Agree x 1