Fruit recommendations for small greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Daalamist, Jul 19, 2024.

1. Daalamist

Daalamist Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi. I live in Shetland, but I’m getting a small greenhouse for the garden which is about 2m high and has a 1.8m square base and is a dome shape. I’d like to grown some fruits in there but realise it will be too small for regular sized fruit trees.

Can anyone recommend any types of fruit trees or bushes that would fit without taking up too much ground space? Of course it’s very cold up here so there will be limitations to what I can grow compared to in England for example, but I will be using some kind of small heater in winter to keep the frost at bay.

Thank you

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    I think I'd actually go for potted strawberries, possibly a blue Berry, but really it's not big enough for fruit bushes IMO.

3. Daalamist

Daalamist Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    I don’t know why I didn’t consider strawberries but I love that idea. I could just put up high shelves around the sides. Thanks for the idea. Perhaps could fit some tomatoes at the back too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
      +362
      I don't know what happily grows outside in the Shetlands but here I grow my strawberries in pots and if you choose an early variety they can be moved outside before the tomatoes or chilli's go into the greenhouse. We also grow mid and later season varieties that are happy with the ever increasing shade from the tomatoes.

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,816
      How about Chilean guava? Ugni Moline. Grows well in a pot, nice little flowers and tasty small fruit.