1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fruit tree problems.

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Linz, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Not had much luck this year.. bit of help would be appreciated.

Firstly, my peaches. Avalon pride.

20170726_180102.jpg
    Sending up suckers below graft, completley dead on top. Get rid? The bucket was a temporary measure, kind of glad I didn't chuck it straight in the ground.

Peche de vigne.
    20170726_180134.jpg
    90% sure it had/has leaf curl. Remedy or get rid?

Cherry trees. Morello, bark has split..anything to worry about? Had flowers, no fruit.
    20170726_180224.jpg

Stella.
    20170726_180418.jpg

Literally, half dead. Leaves only on one side.. Get rid?

Apples; James grieve, bramley and golden delicious. All flowered, no fruit, no noticeable cankers or split bark. Conference pear also flowered, no fruit. Am I expecting too much, only planted over a year ago. Just I got way too excited when I had flowers.

All are self/partially self fertile..I think. Other fruit trees nearby too.

Ah and lastly ..whats eating my raspberry leaves? No bugs/eggs underneath and not eating fruit?
    20170726_180152.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Linz, what a run of bad luck.....get rid of most of them. If they are alive from graft down then useless.
      The Peche de vigne?? Are stems ok above graft? Peach leaf curl in a pot is not too daunting an issue. I have two that have produced lots of peaches. Peach leaf curl affects new young foliage so I keep mine in gh until mid spring and then put it outside when leaves have matured. Works well for me without spraying :)
      I suspect raspberry caterpillar Linz.....neem oil in autumn and again in spring

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
        Ratings:
        +6,224
        Thanks, Verdun. Yes, the Peche de Vigne is (to me) fine apart from the gross looking leaves, which seemed to be worse when the leaves were young now that you mention it. I only have a blow away so it will have to live life in there for time being/until I get a greenhouse.

Think I knew the fate of the Stella and Avalon pride.. will get some new in. I'm not holding much hope for the James grieve either so will replace that too. I'll keep the conference pear, Bramley and golden delicious, see how they fare next year, they seem pretty healthy, no cankers or split bark.. just quite disappointing when you have flowers and no fruit! Will definitely be fleecing/netting next spring.

Will get the neem oil in too, cheers :blue thumb:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,680
        Pic one, that looks like peach leaves to me, peaches are not normally grafted onto a peach rootstock, I might be wrong, but none I have grown have been.
        So check those shoots really are from below the graft.:smile:

Pic two, cant see any peach leaf curl, it is very noticeable if it is present, the leaves become thick and bright pink in colour.
        the plant does look totally starved though.;)

I'd get shot of the morello cherry, bark problems are not easy to remedy.
        Stella, cant really see what is going on with that.

Raspberries look pretty sick, I'd be inclined to dump them, although they might be being attacked by caterpillars or insects of some kind, if they have been around a few years or propagated from old stock they are very likely to be virused.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,680
          Forgot to add,
          I think you might be expecting too much from your apples etc. if only been planted 12 months.
          Possible frosts around blossom time???

Did any small fruit form or did the flowers just drop off.

• Like Like x 1
          • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
            Ratings:
            +6,224
            Ta Pete. Ah bum. I'll get rid of the Morello too then.. seems to be quite healthy on top though.

Closer inspection, peach looks as if it's NOT grafted.. my eyes deceived me.
            20170726_204427.jpg

Will feed the other peach.

No small fruit on apples/pear..flowers just dropped.

Raspberries were fine last year. I did buy a pot of fall gold from the range a few months ago and that's been hit too. Infact it went down first with wgatever its suffering from. Now wondering whether I brought in disease ..:th scifD36: :mad:

• pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,680
            I'm pretty sure the peach is grafted, just not easy to see the point where the graft is, I'd give it another year at least, and cut out the dead bit, with a saw.

If the Morello has healthy growth then persist for a while and see how it goes.

If apple flowers fall without forming small fruit then I would say it is a pollination problem.
            For whatever reason, not anything to do with the health of the trees as such.

Not totally sure on the raspberries but I do know they get virused from one year to the next, I lost a lot that way, the plants become stunted, yellow and fruit poorly.
            Although I do agree yours have been attacked by bugs.

• Like Like x 1
            • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Looks grafted to me Linz
              Avalon is supposed to be resistant to PLC by the way :)

• Like Like x 1
              • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                Ratings:
                +6,224
                The dead bit would be the rest of the whole tree.. Might be easier to dump the whole lot and start again.. hopefully, I have time on my side and supermarket nearby if I need a few apples/peaches etc in the mean time :whistle:

• Friendly Friendly x 1