Fruit Trees

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Domestos Godess, May 5, 2008.

1. Domestos Godess

Domestos Godess Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have two fruit trees in the garden 1) is an apple tree in a tub 2) is a pear tree.

There both have leaves on, do I need to do anything to them before they get there fruit on them?

I've seem "tape" around some apple trees, do I need to do this and why and when

Many thanks

DG

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The only problem you may have (particularly with apple) is pollination if you only have one. There are a few self pollinating ones but most require the pollen of a different plant. I have 1 of everything except apple and I have a Granny Smith and a Cox. (My and Mrs S. favourites). Fortunately they blossom at the same time so I can leave it to the bees. If you live in a rural or semi rural area you should have no problem pinching the neighbours' pollen. But if you are very 'town-centre' you may have problems. Don't know about the tape unless it's a remnant of staking because they are shallow rooted and are usually supported for the first few years.