Fuchsia standard problem

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by hughesyboy, Jun 6, 2010.

1. hughesyboy

hughesyboy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me.
    I managed to raise my own standard last year. It is now 30 inches high.Unfortunately one of the side shoots has withered. Will it look unbalanced as it grows and could it possibly grow back?:oops:

2. hughesyboy

hughesyboy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi hughesyboy. Sorry you haven't had any replies. I think the reason is that no-one is quite sure. I don't have a standard Fuchsia, but I have several ordinary ones. I was just looking at a Fuchsia triphylla, which I overwintered, and saying to myself it looking rather bare at the bottom - so I have the same interest.

I suspect that if you cut it back and force new growth from lower down, it could recover. Unlike many plants that only have growing points at leaf nodes, Fuchsias have plenty of growing points hidden under the woody stems. But it probably needs a bit of prompting to get them going. But I am not really sure.

4. hughesyboy

hughesyboy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    thank you for the reply. I was begiining to think that no one cared :lollol:
    What you said about the buds lower down has give me an idea to try. I have noticed quite a few, so I might give it a whirl. Wish me luck.
    thank you:)

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Fingers crossed. :okies: