Fuchsia Thalia rescue plan

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by biker, Jun 27, 2008.

1. biker

biker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have a sad looking fuchsia. Just bought it recently about 10 inches high and looked healthy after being in the ground a few weeks. Looked healthy with some buds when purchased.
    Treated it the same as other fuchsias - fertile soil, plenty of moisture.
    But .. it seems very unhappy and has curled leaves which have dropped from the bottom upwards.
    Have I overwatered it I wonder? And what to do now? I've taken it out of the soil and repotted it.

Advice?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Biker, Thalia Fuchsias are not hardy, so I think it`s down to the fluctuating weather we are having. In the past fortnight we`ve had hot, cold, wet and dry. As you`ve repotted it, take it indoors and treat as a houseplant for now. But DO NOT overwater it.:thumb:

3. biker

biker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks David. the weather in London has been pretty ok but I'll take your advice and see how it goes.
    Do you think I should cut it down to soil level? or just leave it to see if it recovers?

cheers

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    No, leave it for now. At the moment it`s got 2 chances. Keep it in a warm, light, place, and hope for the best.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,101
    Probably wasn't hardened off properly, would be my guess.
    It grows pretty well outside in the summer, but as David says, not winter hardy at all.

6. biker

biker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll let you know how it does.

cheers

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thalia is a member of the Tryphilla family of fuchsia - lovely dark purply leaves and crimson long flowers. As the others said, I would think fluctuating temperatures have checked it - perhaps with a bit of overwatering. They like it quite dry. I would also check the leaves top and bottom for signs of white fly. They love fuchsias.

Don't be surprised if it drops its leaves - they often do that if stressed. If it does, then cut the stems back - and leave it alone - no water, no nothing and see if it reshoots.

I overwinter both thalia and koralee fuchsias in the greenhouse - and have learnt from my mistakes and left them unwatered. Just a smidgen about once a month. Each year they sprout, and then I start increasing the watering slightly - usually as the leaves start to droop.

Then in late June into the border to provide some vivid colour for summer and autumn. before lifting again for the winter.

8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thats interesting Fran and David. I didn't know Triphyllas don't like too much water. I had assumed the opposite. I overwintered two Koralles - frost free, but only one has survived.

But as Pete says it may not have been hardened off properly. I had trouble with some of my Salvias that I put outside a month ago. The leaves on some went almost black during a cold spell - the plants survived and surprisingly the leaves still appear to be living.

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Like most fuchsias, Peter they take easily from soft or even hard wood cuttings (more reliable than tip cuttings) - even with flower buds on. So take some cuttings now - but don't cover them with a plastic bag, and keep them on the dry side - close to the house wall. They may take a bit of time to get away - but in my experience do better wiith neglect than cosseting.

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Fran - this thread (as often happens) has prompted me to do some digging on triphylla Fuchsias. But in spite of all the references on the internet, it is difficult to find solid facts.

First I understood that Fuchsias in general liked quite a bit of water, though I can't find a reference to that. But the British Fuchsia Soc does say they like high humidity. Am I right about the water in general? And are triphyllas different in that respect? Do they like it drier.

My Koralle, from last year, sat outside doing very little for quite some time. But just over the last week it has virtually doubled in height (to only 4 inches!). So I will certainly try a cutting or two. I did come across a pamphet I had on triphyllas, and it mentioned that they are not very free branching and that cuttings should be slightly longer than normal with two or three leaf nodes below the surface of the compost. The dormant buds in the leaf axils should hopefully develop and appear as shoots from the soil surface to add to the bushiness of the plant.

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,101
    Just my experience but I know what Fran is saying about them liking it on the dry side, but only in the winter, I find.
    Cuttings also tend not to like it too wet, but then what cuttings do?

In summer and growing strongly I find they like lots of water.

I do think they need more sun and a warmer position than the more normal kinds of fuschia

12. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,101
    I've always assumed this to be Thalia, but I'm open to suggestions
    [​IMG]

13. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Could be Garten Meister Bondstat, very similar.
    The Trichophylla that is very hard to root is the variegated form Firecracker, I have had trouble with it but the common Koralle and Thalia types are easy.
    Some Tricos wilt in very hot sun and can scorch but that dosen't happen here very often.

14. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,101
    Thanks strongy, I've had it a long time.

15. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I overwinter thallias on the patio with bubble-wrap over them. Never thought of watering them during that time. They seem to be quite happy to start again in the Spring. Interesting about not over-watering them.