Fuchsias for a hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Chri$, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Chri$

Chri$ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, New member, first post.
    I'm trying to find out what fuchsias I can use to form a hedge. I have somewhich were already in place when we moved in, which look like Lady Thumb but I'd like to plant some others for a bit of colour variation.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Chri$.C

2. Tangle

Tangle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

welcome to the board :D

How big is your Lady Thumb look a like? There are so many fuchsia's it's quite hard to identify them all, but Lady Thumb is usually pretty small (<1ft).

For a hedge you'd usually want something a bit more substantial. Most often fuchsia hedges are some kind of fuchsia magellanica as they're fully hardy, and pretty vigorous - getting up to 10ft if you let them! The only thing they don't have is big dramatic flowers, although I kind of like the delicate dainty look as well...

Have a look at Thompson and Morgan's Hedging Fuchsia webpage for some ideas [​IMG]

3. Chri$

Chri$ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tangle,
    I was a long way out with my guess. Looking at the T/M website and comparing one of the blooms I would reckon on Magellanica Aurea.
    I think I'll opt for the multi-pack they have on offer so I get a bit of a mixture of colours.
    Thanks for your help.
    Chri$

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    hi, Chri$ and welcome, as Tangle says Magellanica are really the only fuchsia for a hedge, with a multi pack hopefully you will get the light pink and white ones as most hedges seem to be the commoner red variety. [​IMG]