Fungus Gnats Infestation in Retail Compost Bags: A St Albans, Hertfordshire Problem?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Ira B, May 30, 2023.

1. Ira B

Ira B Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello fellow gardeners,

I'm writing to bring attention to an issue I've encountered and to seek potential solutions. A few months ago, I purchased an all-purpose soil from Tesco for repotting my houseplants. Soon after, I noticed an infestation of fungus gnats in my home, traced back to the soil.

I managed to rid my home of the gnats by putting the affected plants outdoors. Recently, when I planned to purchase new compost, I observed fungus gnats surrounding the compost bags at several stores. These included two B&Qs, Morrisons supermarket, and Homebase, all within the St Albans, Hertfordshire area. It appeared as though every available compost bag was plagued with these pests, which deterred me from making a purchase.

Online research yielded no relevant results. I'm left wondering if this is a local problem or a larger, unreported issue. Could it be a shared supplier issue among these large retailers?

I'm interested in hearing if anyone else has encountered this problem. If you have, did you bring it to the attention of the store? Additionally, I'm seeking advice on where to buy gnat-free compost in or around St Albans.

I look forward to any advice or insight you may have, thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Ira

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,953
    Another member on here steered me toward Mosquito Bits. It works.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,986
      Doubt it's restricted to St Albans; is it really a problem though. Fungus gnats and their maggots tend not to bother plants or healthy seedlings. They feed on fungus growing in the compost, numbers may have increased with the switch to peat free composts.
      They are not a problem if the compost is kept on the drier side, I'd buy a bag of whatever was best value and then keep it outside in a shed, garage, car porch or similar.
      If really concerned then see here Sciarid Fly Nematodes | Green Gardener

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,919
        The increase in numbers is definitely down to the replacement of peat with wood waste in multi-purpose compost, so a nationwide (or even worldwide) problem. As a cheap, quick fix for sowings or houseplants, stick a few matches head side down in the pots. Replace after a couple of weeks if necessary. I tried the nematodes with conspicuous lack of success :sad:

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,371
          Welcome Ira B. :)

Sciarid flies have been a problem in compost for at least a decade now Ira and it doesn't make any difference what you buy or where you buy it. Having battled with these annoying flies indoors for years I decided to give up on house plants. It had got to the point they were finding a way into my smoke alarms and setting them off - and also stopped two functioning completely.

Having said that, I do start a certain amount of seeds off indoors and grow them on until they can go outside. I cook the compost in the microwave for two minutes, allowing it to cool before using it and that seems to kill both the flies and their maggots. It's a long process but seems to work.

@noisette47 I found matches don't work.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +47,532
            What brand and name, as Tesco sell quite a few different multi purpose composts ?

I've bought "Miracle-Gro Performance Organics Peat Free Fruit & Veg compost" and it's been excellent, no problem with gnats.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +120,741
              One of the recommended ways of coping with fungus gnats in houseplants is never to water the top of the soil. Have the pots in a plant saucer and and always water into the saucer. The gnats love the wet surface of compost.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                Ratings:
                +54,380
                Definitely water from the base so the top remains dry. Zap the compost in the microwave before using it as well. :dbgrtmb:

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,251
                Think you will find them in any bags of compost and though there are many different retail brands they probably only come from a couple of manufacturers.

Have tried several method to control them before, but for house plants and in the greenhouse have found that the Mosquito Bits that @CanadianLori mentions has worked best of all.

Not cheap, and only found them on Amazon, but a pack will dose hundeds of houseplants.
                https://www.amazon.co.uk/Summit-res...&sprefix=mosquito+bits,outdoor,62&sr=1-4&th=1

• Like Like x 3