Fungus Gnats

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ha2el, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ha2el

ha2el Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! My first post!:)

I recently read somewhere that you can get rid of fungus gnats that plague houseplants by mixing 3% hydrogen peroxide with 4 parts water and treating the plant when the soil has dried out. It also says that you should buy hydrogen peroxide that has no additives. However I can only find a 3% solution used as a mild disinfectant and which contains phosphoric acid (E338) and phenacetin.

Has any one else tried this treatment with any success? If so did you find a solution for sale that has no additives? I would love to rid my plants of this little blight but don't want to harm them in the attempt!:help:

I have also read that sprinkling cinnamon over the soil gets rid of the gnats but havn't tried this yet!

Thanks

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    :thmb: The most effective way to rid indoor plants of these gnats is to regulate the watering schedule. Fungus gnats are generally a problem in soils that are over-watered or that have too much organic matter decomposing in the soil.Allow the soil to dry between watering. Remove any debris that may be decomposing on the soil surface such as old leaves and stems and add them to the compost pile. You could try removing the top 1/4 of an inch of soil & replacing it with some sand,fine grit or pebbles on the surface as well to cover the soil.. You can then trap and drown any adult gnats left by placing apple cider vinegar or wine in a small bowl near the problem plant. The gnats should stop being a problem once you have adjusted the watering conditions though..:thmb: