fushcia!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pumpkinsoup, Apr 12, 2006.

1. pumpkinsoup

pumpkinsoup Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all i have a fushcia that i planted into the ground last summer,at the moment its just bare twigs,should i have some shoots and a bit of green on it yet or am i a bit early?

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My potted fuscias are barely getting going and they've been kept under shelter :D

With the spring we've had it's far too early to expect anything other than bare twigs on any fuscia planted outside other than the really hardy outdoor ones.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    It's why it makes a bit of a boring hedge if you only use that - glorious through the summer, but nothing but sticks all winter. Pity, really! I've never found a good way of disguising the plant with others - so if anyone knows of a way - share it please!! :rolleyes:

4. darlie chimmock

darlie chimmock Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a fuchsia hedge - riccartonii - underplanted with daffs - the twigs support the stems and theres a lovely splash of colour all spring.

5. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    That is a great idea darlie chimmock, I find my daffs are in the way of other palants in early May but around fucias they would be not a prob. I will do that.

6. SarahInTheGarden

SarahInTheGarden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a climbing fushia that I brought back from Jersey 2 years ago, it has began to produce lots of leaves and is nearly four foot high - the pot looks so bare early spring - I too will try underplanting it with daffs when I repot it at the end of the summer.

7. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a big flowered hardy fushia called Perry,s Jumbo which is not even showing a peep and barely any old shoots to remind me where it is.

I took a few cuttings of a small flowered fushia they look dead, but I have no doubt they will spring back to life when they are ready.

8. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    No sign of growth of my garden fuchsias yet - the cold spell delayed a lorra things. However my greenhouse ones are leafing up - and amazingly some magenallica cuttings I stuck in one of my containers last autumn are showing signs of growth.

9. darlie chimmock

darlie chimmock Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    here is a picture of the daffs comming up through the aforementioned boring fuchsia hedge...

[​IMG]

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Boring is not a term I would use to describe fuchsia [​IMG] However until they start into growth, bare twigs, are bare twigs, are bare twigs :D