Fushia help please

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Pellin, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Pellin

Pellin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks,

First post and I wondered if anyone is able to help me.
    I bought a fushia - Fuchsia magellanica - 'Aurea'

And I planted it. Nothing has been planted there before. Just removed the turf and added some compost to the nice soil and planted it in well. It looked perfect.
    Since then which was 8 days ago it has had a day of rain which was better for it than me and the watering can each morning. (I only Watered the base) and I have gone to look at it more closely. I'm not sure it should look like this. No expert by any means but it looks as if its on its way out. The stems are very healthy looking but the leaves are turning from what they were to red where they join the stems. Stems are very red but the leaf stems are going from pale yellowy green to this ....

Am I killing it? Is something else killing it? is it killing itself, or does something extremely chemical in nature need to be drenched all over it to annihilate every living insect and mammalian being in a meter radius. I'll do it ... I'm not afraid ... any help gratefully received.

20230705_140227.jpg 20230705_140225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2023
  2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
  3. Pellin

Ratings:
    +1
    It is in full sun ... well it would be if we'd had any recently... but it does state full sun or ... partial shade.
    It does say alkali soils though ... mines probably acidic because its 2 feet of soil then clay. I used to have a Garden ph meter... not sure if there is a household item way to check.

4. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    Personally I find fuchsias do better not in full sun all day.
    I've slightly acidic soil, can grow some camellias etc, fuchsias grow happily for me and my neighbour.
    As for pH meters most of the cheap ones are pretty rubbish, try one of those kits were you shake with water and then add an indicator.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,291
      Its probalby the change of location, if its now in an area that gets full sun / more exposed. it might just be a reaction if its been grown in a sheltered semi shadered area before.

It does not look like its dying to us, would just keep on watering it , but equally do not over water and rot the roots.
      Giving it a weekly feed of a general feriliser or some liquid seaweed feed.

If those leaves do eventually drop off, do not dig the plant up, it may well put up new sets of leaves more suited to your garden.

• Like Like x 1
      • Pellin

Ratings:
        +1
        Thank you Ricky. When it arrived by post it was exactly how I imagined. I did wonder if it was putting on new growth which starts off red at the tips. Or if the blazing hit days of last week and quite windy cool nights had caused it to get bunged up. We shall see. I'll leave it to find its own happy medium then and give it some weak tomorite once a week. Its supposed to be bombproof to a degree and was the only one I like with red flowers. It was all about the foliage for me ... which has gone like Genni which was a quarter of the price

Thanks for the help guys.

• Like Like x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,291
          Hi,

Be better with a general Balanced fertiliser for now as you want growth rather than flowers which is what Tomorite is for with its high Potash.

We have Genni in the garden, seems bombproof, looking grand at the moment with its almost yellow leaves and the buds ready to open, about 60cm round.

• Like Like x 1