G/House Toms problem - photos included

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Steve R, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I have two varieties of tomatoes in the greenhouse, 5 x Moneymaker and 4 x Gourmet plants.

This issue is affecting all of the Moneymaker plants that I grew from seed and this only started around a week ago, the gourmet plants are unaffected and where bought as small plants.

All are planted in half growbags and have recently started being fed, all are regularly watered.

You can see from the photos quite clearly what the problem is, discolouration of the leaves (turning very light green) and eventually the leaves are curling up. I have three trusses on the plant so far and they are nearly 4 foot tall, some fruits are now growing and around pea size.

Discolouration of the leaves.

[​IMG]

Reverse of leaf.

[​IMG]

Leaf curling.

[​IMG]

I have had a good look over the plants "bug searching" and can find none, no eggs or anything, even used a magnifying glass.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Many thanks.

Steve...:)

2. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    It could be a number of things, such as excess moisture, transplant shock, too much nitrogen.
    I would try removing the problem leaves and giving them some fertilizer, but make sure that you are watering from the bottom and try not to get the plant itself wet with it.
    Good luck.

The other thing you could try is, mixing some Epsom Salt with water and give the tomatoes that as a fertilizer, they LOVE it.

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Not excess moisture or lack of it, not transplant shock either as they have been in situation for a good month now and not too much nitrogen ether as I have only just started feeding them this last week (Tomorite), and all nine plants have been treated identically.

All the Moneymaker plants are affected, but none of the Gourmet are.

4. Mafamoo

Mafamoo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,

I've been growing moneymaker tomato's from seed this year too and I've noticed a similar problem on mine, only affecting the lower leaves, however I removed the offending leaves and the plants seem to be doing fine, and growing new foliage. I also have many trusses with pea sized tomato's on them, and I've noticed no ill effects due to the removing of the leaves so far, but I'll keep an eye on them.

Hope your plants recover!

Matt.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I think its most likely to be Magnesium deficiency for which the symptoms are edges of the leaves yellow, the veins still green.

Spray with Epsom Salts. I don't think the effected leaves recover - so don't worry if they don't improve (you might want to have a Google on that, I've not encountered it before - but I read of it quite often on the forums, so its not uncommon)

If it is mosaic virus the yellow patches would be more blochy

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    It does look like lack of magnesium, its a fairly common problem Steve, quite often it seems to spark off when you begin feeding, the high potassium content of tomorite contributes to the problem.

In severe cases premature defoliation can occur, but mild cases are unlikely to affect yield or quality. It is easily treated by spraying with Epsom Salts. Dissolve ½ oz in a pint of water (20g/litre) and spray each day for a week.

7. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Many thanks Kriten and and John, I'll nip out and get some today. As a preventative measure should I also spray the Gourmet variety? They are growing in the same medium and being treated the same way as the moneymakers.

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Thats a good idea to spray your Gourmet variety as well, they are growing in the same compost and treated identically so I reckon they will probably be suffering just not showing any symptoms yet.

Out of interest what make of grow bag did you use?

9. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I'm using "Gardenline" organic grow bags from Aldi, I've just looked to see if there is an ingredient list or NPK info and none exists on the packaging. It does say they are manufactured using chicken manure and a sugar-beet by-product. Perhaps I wont use these bags next year...any recomendations for next year?

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I think you want the cheapest grow bags you can get, and just feed them on the assumption they have nothing in them.

If you grow the Tomatoes until first truss in Pots you can then feed them as soon as they are in the bag.

Actually, I don't like bags! Hard to get the moisture content right. I would cut the bag into two, upend it, and use it as two pots :) (or use the compost to fit normal 11" / 10L pots, if you have them, but they aren't cheap.

Having said that, if you are only buying a couple of bags then getting a quality name probably won't make much difference, pricewise.

I wouldn't buy organic ones. Peat-free etc. compost is still not a technology that is fully sorted - sadly.

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I don't have any recommendations Steve, I'm no expert on the different brands, but last year I got some B&Q 'organic' grow bags which were about the worst of the lot, they seemed to be made from a dark composted bark but the plants did poorly in it. I remember that the contents stained my clothes and hands so I wanted to avoid them this time. I've got some B&Q cheap 'ordinary' growbags this year, and I use them as a soil conditioner, mixing them into my greenhouse soil. The toms seem to be OK this year so far.

12. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Here are some updated photos of these plants, I'm more convinced now its mosaic virus due to the discoloration of the stems and fruits...what do you think?

I'll continue with the epson salts treatment and I'll remove the leaves that are really badly affected too. The gourmet variety are also now showing signs of this. I've attached the photos this time for future use as a reference to others.

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Looks very much like Magnesium Deficiency to me. But I've not seen Mosaic virus, so don't know how to compare, but I think its more blotchy.

If Magnesium deficiency the leaves should get darker green with Epsom salts, and the yellow parts recover on younger leaves (at least), and where the yellowing was minor (most probably on younger leaves towards the top of the plant) it should be seen to be improving within a few days

14. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I'll keep up with the epson salts treatment and see what happens, any ideas on the fruit and stem discolouration?

15. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Don't know about the stem. Might be nothing ...

I ignored the the fruit, first time around, as it looked as though they were ripening from the bottom upwards, which I thought was normal. If the pattern is more "mosaic" than it looks in the picture that could be an issue I guess.

You spraying 1/2 ounce per pint and repeat after two weeks? If so I think you should see a change within a few days of the first spraying.