Galaxy S2

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by kevinm, Jan 4, 2013.

1. kevinm

kevinm Gardener

Ratings:
    +387
    I recently succumbed to the notion of the mobile phone. Partly because the smart phone is no longer just a phone but 99% pocket sized computer which is very handy to have and partly because I suddenly realized that in an emergency the mobile phone has all but replaced the telephone that we all grew up with.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is a beautifully designed and blazingly fast pocket computer. Unfortunately the 8mpx camera processes images by default with all the subtlety of a 16lb sledge hammer. Why don't they give you the option (like in Raw format) whereby you can apply contrast and sharpening yourself - rather than a one-size-fits-all algorithm? This is a fairly widespread practice among manufacturers in the digital age - whereby photographers with thousands of hours of experience in the darkroom are forever condemned to have their film developed in the one-hour-photo unless they use a high end camera that shoots raw or at the very least has a few processing options.

At the beach yesterday with the Galaxy s2. Mrs M and grandaughters giving Sam a run:...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I think that's an excellent picture.

You're right though in what you say about the manufacturer forcing you to accept a tiny subset of processing options. To be honest though, that's probably a good thing, as I reckon the majority of people that use a smart phone as their main (or only) camera probably wouldn't know how to change anything correctly, so the presets are designed to give the best all-round result for the amateur/occasional photographer.

I'm no photographer, so for the most part I'm happy with the results from my HTC Desire HD. Give it a second or two to autofocus and adjust for the light and it doesn't do too bad. It could never compete with a 'real' camera though.

• kevinm

kevinm Gardener

Ratings:
      +387
      I agree entirely - and its asking a lot for a phone to compete with a dedicated camera - but it would be nice if apart from the default half-sloshed-at-the-office-party-mode there was an option buried in the menu for that sizeable number of people that actually know what they are doing.:snork:

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        I'm afraid the people to blame are the very people who know nothing about anything they ever talk about. In a technology company, you will find a clever bunch of hardware people who boast about the great capabilities of the new hardware, a bunch of programmers, who do an excellent job of taking advantage of that hardware, and then a bunch of marketing people who tell the bosses that people are dumb so the bosses have to tell the programmers to accommodate "the lowest common denominator".

I'm no photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I know about light levels, and exposure time etc. Years ago, my first camera phone allowed me to set those things manually. I rarely needed to but sometimes 'auto' just made a mess so I could manually override it. In newer ones, as you say, there appears to be no such option.

• Like Like x 1
        • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,389
          I had a bit of a let down when I realized that my newly purchased gotablet takes only pictures from the front (meaning my face) not the rear. Some tablets do front and rear, but unfortunately not this one.

• Like Like x 1
          • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,341
            Don't be shy, Give us a shufty then :-)

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
            • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
              Ratings:
              +3,035
              These days we’ve got technology that tries to be all things to all people. Portable devices now are built and marketed to multi-task but the majority fall into the “Jack of all Trades, Master of None” category.
              Phones and tablets can take decent, and given the right conditions, sometimes very good photos (and kevinm's photo is a very good example of the latter!); but cannot at present match the quality and versatility of even a mid-range digital camera. The only, at present, advantage of a camera phone or to a much lesser extent tablet phone is that the owner is a bit more likely to be in a position to capture a shot that suddenly arises; as was Kevin!

Superb composition!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
              • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                Ratings:
                +3,702
                It does seem such a shame given that ALL photo's are taken in RAW format anyway, then the camera processes and applies settings to a jpeg, so surely a RAW shooting format and save option would not be too difficult, then at least the camera owner can decide how and in which mode to shoot knowing they will either get an average run of the mill good photo or the ability to post process with a RAW file later, which then gives a chance to change settings via the RAW conversion itself.

This of course is just a stop gap until a few more shooting options become available in these gadget phones.

BTW Kev...thats a smashing mono shot there!

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
                • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                  Ratings:
                  +14,126
                  I would like to think they will make those improvements, maybe we should all lobby the makers of our phones..!! I have an Iphone & the camera on that is great for panoramic shots but no good on close up or detail I think, so I still take my camera along with me... ;)

• landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
                  Ratings:
                  +915
                  I can only look on with envy, as I am not able to partake in the new technology due to affordability. They all seem out of my price range or they ask to much per month to run them.
                  Oh dear what a dilemma:gaah:

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,389
                  I have bought my go table on the shopping channel via installments/first one 32 second and third 26 £. Not that I need it desperately..I have a desktop a laptop a notebook but all this equipment is to make sure that I optimise the time and the opportunity to pursue my online activity which is now in his infancy but hopefully not for much longer.

But I am not the type which is glued to the phone or feel like I have to report my every move to socialmedia, thank god I managed to avoid the trend I don't want my brain to be replaced by technology.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                  Ratings:
                  +7,341
                  Well, not really dear, depends what you want to do with them

I only have a mobile phone, in case I break down in the car, or I am going to be late home, I do not do texts or phone people on it
                  Last year it cost me £ 8.45 in total on my Pay as you go card

The phone VODAPHONE are £10 to buy, then depending on the offer either £5 for £10 pay as you go credit, or actually £10 The camera bit is very good 3m pix with decent pictures,
                  So really it is within reach, If you want to join the Jet Set :-)

Jack McH

• kevinm

kevinm Gardener

Ratings:
                  +387
                  That's just about my sentiments regarding mobile phones also. The small percentage of this gadget which is devoted to making phone calls is likely to expire from boredom.

Kevin

• landimad

Retired Rail worker
                  Ratings:
                  +915
                  Had my Nokia 3320 for years now and just not sure which one to go with.
                  All the kids have got there Blackberries and I phones for which I paid.:wallbanging:
                  But they are so used to this new stuff, I fear I am being left behind.:dunno:
                  Then again I have to keep them on the straight and narrow, by asking them "what would they do if we lost all electricity?" as always they said "don't be stupid dad"
                  Cometh the day.

• Like Like x 2
                  • landimad

Retired Rail worker
                    Ratings:
                    +915
                    Well finally bit the bullet and got an Android.
                    One of those Sony Xperia go things and now to see if I get on with it.
                    Wish me luck on the new technology.:sofa:

• Like Like x 1