garden canes

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by flatfeetflynn, Apr 14, 2009.

1. flatfeetflynn

flatfeetflynn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    has anybody got any pictures of garden canes on a vegatable patch thanks.:gnthb:

2. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I havent as yet but i'm about to put up my canes for my cobra french beans, peas and sweet peas. When there up i'll grab a pic for you.

3. flatfeetflynn

Ratings:
    +1
    thanks i need a picture as im putting climbing beans in myself and not to sure how they go together pretty basic i know but just gives me an idea of which is the best way of going about doing it thanks again.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Here's some from last year

5. flatfeetflynn

Ratings:
    +1
  6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    There are other ways of doing it though ... making a one sided tent with strings so that the beans hang down and you can pick from underneath (I haven't got a good link, hopefully someone else has?)

7. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This was my attempt - and I had never grown anything before. Had to reinforce the frame a bit when it got 'breezy' last summer, when it was fully laden. I really liked it. It was easy to find the beans and pick them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. galaxysue

galaxysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    do you have any measurements for this I would like to make one it looks great

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    That's the thing I was thinking of, thanks Hec.

10. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I did it so the lower end was about head height and the higher end about 18 inches higher so I could still reach it easily. I would suggest the lower one is made a bit higher tho as the cross bars just seemed to be in my blind spot and I banged my head nearly every time I walked underneath.
    Mine is about 4 foot wide - 'cos I'm only feeding me. If you were to make it much bigger though it would require extra support in the middle. You could also use canes instead of strings over the top to provide more support but I found the string was fine. I have replaced all the string this year.

Oh it was also about 4 foot from front to back. Using standard size wood lengths it seemed to make sense. I trained 2 plants up each string, starting one a couple of inches in front of the line and one a couple of inches behind.

11. flatfeetflynn

Ratings:
    +1
    good pictures thats good idea doing it that way,
    i put some canes up yesterday ill put some pictures up when i get chance.