Garden Design Course

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by barbaraanne, Jul 30, 2006.

1. barbaraanne

barbaraanne Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello everyone

I am a housewife and I live just to the north of Manchester - not plenty of rain as supposed. I would like to ask for advice on taking a Garden Design Course. I do not want to make a big professional career out of this so something straightforward first to see how I do.

Anyone had experience of these home study courses which can be bought?

Any help comments or warnings would be much appreciated

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,806
    Hi barbaraanne

Welcome to GC
    ---------------
    shiney

3. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi BarbaraAnne - are you wanting a qualification or just to learn how to do some design?

4. barbaraanne

barbaraanne Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ijust want to learn how to design, produce a plan etc. I am not bothered about a qualification as I would only do this for friends and family not as a way of earning

Hope you can help. Some of the courses I have looked at seem very good but some are very expensive

5. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    That's the thing I was going to say, BA.. make sure you don't pay vast fortunes for something unless you were going to use the qualifications for something career-wise.

I have always taught myself (and my other half is very much into the design side of things) so I couldn't recommend a specific course, but I would guess that you need to think about what aspect of design you are interested in. I have been reshaping my garden this year, putting in a patio and am currently building a retaining wall. That sort of thing calls for more building/DIY skills than it does for gardening ones (although I'm sure I'll be needing to brush up on those soon enough! ;) )

If you're more interested in choosing plants etc, perhaps one of the RHS courses may be suitable?

6. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Their used to be a free gardening design course on the bbc site have a look to see if its still their..allan tichmarsh also has a free garden course on their and you even get a certificate..i did it out of interest..

7. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    do you have a relatively local college that does horticulture? that's your best bet, as apart from anything else, having a set day to go to do the course is more motivating, particularly when there are other people to talk to and moan about things with. Just my opinion, of course- but it's what I did, and got my son to do the year after too! :D

9. barbaraanne

barbaraanne Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone for your help and interest. My local college does only flower arranging - not my scene at all. I have had a look at the alan Tichmarsh course on the BBC and am going to have a go.

Thanks again

10. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ooo. I might have a go as well! I doubt the garden design part would be much good, but the first half would take some of the reliance on these foor forum folk that i have and direct it there i guess!