Garden Design Software

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sarah Roberts, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Sarah Roberts

Sarah Roberts Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I'm new here and just after some advice. I am currently looking to design my new garden and would like some software to help me, can anyone recommend some good programmes i can either download or buy to do this?

Thanks
    Sarah

• Like Like x 1
    • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      Hi Sarah, you will find quite a few results under the query gardening software as it has been discussed quite a lot before on the forum. Anyway just to mention one... http://www.sketchup.com/

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Welcome to the forums, Sarah :sign0016:

I don't use any software, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in case something jumps out and I cave in.

Hope you stick around even after you've got the advice you are looking for regarding software; they are a lovely bunch around here :)

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +11,493
      High Sarah.
      I also do not use any software. 23 years later keep discovering.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      You looking to plan for Hard landscaping, or "Planting" ?

For the former I use Punch, but only because I bought a copy to do some planning for a house build. It does both house and garden, but the plant library has a heavy American bias

If you are even moderately handy with a computer I think CAD is much better than pencil-and-paper. Much MUCH **MUCH** :heehee: easier to save way-points so you can go back to an earlier evolution and re-work from there, and changing you mind is a lot less work than rubbing out. Plus if the software is half decent you'll be able to do 3D walk-throughs and also preview plant growth at various garden ages. Even if it looks not-much-like-the-real-thing it will still highlight that you can see from A-to-B when you didn't want to be able to, or vice versa.

• Natalie025

Natalie025 Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      Hello!

I'm a complete beginner. I used a website called plantify recently. It's free and easy enough to self teach. What I really liked about it is that you can find you house on the google map satellite and then "draw" over it! So it gives you a real birds eye view and a bit of a clue about measurements too. It can also help you pick plants for your soil type and sun position, and then order them. Really very helpful!

http://www.plantify.co.uk/garden-design-tool

Natalie