Garden Destruction

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pamsdish, Sep 2, 2010.

1. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    We have been informed this morning that after 3 years of wrangling with the builders, that the drainage on our development, 27 bungalows, was not right and it is going to be corrected. Work starts Monday.

Also after tests have been done the topsoil is contaminated and has to be removed to a depth of 2ft.and new drainage installed

This is any soil not capped with concrete so ,entire front gardens ,which are now coming to the end of their 3rd summer and just establishing.

Also back gardens, which I covered with chippings and slabs because of drainage and most of my plants are in pots ,all has to go.

They say they will pot up established plants and then replant, but I feel it will not be the same.

I have Daffodills, all my tulips will have to go into pots. Is it worth saving seeds for next year,I have been watering some newly planted forget me nots, I may aswell let them die.

I feel so distraught I dont know what to do, I have my sweet williams ready to go in the list is endless and I could cry.:cry:

I just feel the last 3 years have just been a total waste of my time and effort and I will be 60 Boxing Day ,

If the work is not done until next spring as we are the last to be done ,that will be another year gone as it may be too late to sow seeds

I am trying to be positive, that after the work is completed the garden will be drier the soil better etc

I will keep you posted. :cry::cry:

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Keep positive Pam - as you said just before you finished your post, you will have a better garden when the work is completed. I understand where you are coming from though, what a mess it'll be while it's being done and of course, no gardening :(

Go and have a stiff one, then sit down with pen and paper, after a good wander around the garden and decide what needs doing - what you want to save, what can be potted up and used as plant pots to keep you and your place cheerful looking while the work is being done. 99% of plants will survive in pots, especially over winter...and if you have perennials, digging them up and dividing them will re-invigorate them, especially if some of them have been in the ground for 3 years now.

Hopefully, when they get to you, the work won't take that long and you can get the garden looking great once more, just in time for a gardening season next Spring and Summer :)

3. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Aw Pam. Look in the bright side.

You will end up with better soil.

Plus, an almost "blank canvas" to start again- which is something all gardeners love! You don't need to replace your old planting plan - get gardening books out of the library, magazines, let your imagination run riot in anticipation!

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Pam, the thing is, once the work is done you will be able to GARDEN and not have to cover it in chippings and slabs. Your plants can go where they belong, in the ground.:gnthb: I`m 11 days older than you, so listen to your elders.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Sorry to hear that Pam, in the long run it will be a better garden, just make sure they save all your plants and make it your mission to keep badgering them if anything is not to your liking. It's their fault and they will have to correct it. How about taking loads of photos of what its like now and making lists and plans of what you have.

6. realmojo

realmojo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So sorry to hear about your garden Pam, I'm sure everyone would be devastated in your position but as others have stated I'm sure with the benefit of a "fresh start" again your garden will end up being just as much a joy as it was if not more so.

All the best with your efforts.:gnthb:

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If its any help, my garden was a building site till april. I've just eaten a stew of fresh potatoes, carrots, tomatoes,beans, onions, shallots & garlic. All from the garden.

8. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    That's just terrible Pam and I'm so sorry for you.
    But the work does have to be done and everything will be the better for it.
    All you can do is plan for the future and look forward to getting started on your new, improved garden.
    I hope everything goes smoothly and it all works out for the best.
    Chin up and keep us posted.

9. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I am trying to label all my plants , and mark where the herbaceous perennials should be.:help:

When I replant I will make certain all plants are labelled with pest/bird proof labels. :yez:

Its amazing how you can look at a plant and know what it is until you have to think about it,names just go out your head. :oops: I know it begins with a p :scratch:

Then in the middle of the night you remember :ywn:

I am collecting seeds for myself and the seed parcel ,but we really need a few more days of sunshine to dry them. :lollol:

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    It will be better in the long run but I know how you must be feeling right now.

11. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Pam, take some photos of how your garden is now, so if for any reason there's a problem and you have to "prove something" after the work is completed you have some evidence.

12. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Awful news Pam, no advice only sympathy as 'It's for the best' is little or no consolation. I just hope it all comes back together for you and in 3 to 4 years you have another beautiful garden.

13. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    pam so sorry for you
    i know you will get it looking lovley once again
    its a load of hard work
    if only we were younger, perhaps the builders will tidyup
    as your the last one, thinking of you
    and do take photos as everyone says
    goodluck kathy xxx

14. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    So nearly April and they are still 7 houses away ,on the other side of the road in the cul-de-sac that is right angles to us. Then they have to do the 4 gardens I can see the backs of in that cul-de-sac,plus the 1 in our row as her garden runs the length of them,then the last 3 of which I am 1.

So do I carry on as if they are not there or sit and fume till they get here ,I believe it is supposed to take 2 weeks to do and they are doing them in groups not singly.That is just the backs I really don`t know about the fronts.I will take a stroll later and see whats happening

15. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    So spent all last Thursday and Friday digging up plants from the front garden:cry3:, 2 helpers provided :rolleyespink:,neither knew anything about gardening :help:

So they have spades ,no fork:DOH:, I provide fork . Soon broken.:mad:

The idea is spade into ground 2/3" then slice across ,:gaagh:

I impress upon them "DIG DEEP" to no avail, all plants go into black buckets ,:love30:Thank god I made them drill holes in the bottoms after Sundays rain. My water butt filled completely from nearly empty. :yess:

So my back garden is full of dying plants in buckets ,:fingerdrum: I have cut all the flowers off most so if I only save the root systems :dunno: I may get a few going again :yahoo:

I have taken some photos so will be showing you whats going on