Garden Lights

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,189
    There is "system" here called the Portuguese Recycling System. If you have an item you no longer desire but it is in good order, you put it at the rubbish bins ... not IN them but NEXT to them. Then someone comes along and if they have a requirement for that item, they take it.

We had our best find yet* last week ... hand-painted ceramic outdoor light fixtures, three pairs and two individual ones ...

[​IMG]

We figure they are worth about 80-100 Euros so not a bad freebie. [​IMG] I think the two downlighters are fantastic. We have found "homes" for all but the rounded pair which our friends will have.

* Actually, our really best find was Cal and Candi. [​IMG]

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Those look absolutely fabulous
    I bought one of those (like the one on the top left) in Portugal some years ago. I have it hanging on a small wall but never got around to fitting a light
    Might just do that [​IMG]

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi LoL. One of my neighbours has the same system. They just dump everything they don't want outside. It usually goes. I had a couple of calor gas bottles (having recently given up the caravan) and the council wanted �£20 to take them away. (Apparently I'm not allowed to take them to the tip myself :confused: ?). Just put them outside said my neighbours. Someone will re-cycle them. It took 2 hours before they were gone. I think people power is better at re-cycling than council power. ;)

4. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    brilliant idea what do they say
    one mans poision :D :D

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,189
    whis4ey ... get it sorted. [​IMG] They are also used inside homes here, not just garden lights.

John, empty gas bottles are worth 30 Euros here (about �£20) so they are a valuable commodity.

Agree with you Kathy3 ... you wouldn't believe what you can pick up here ... I hate to say a lot of it from the expats who have more money than sense ... fortunately we have both. [​IMG]

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lady those items are indeed very charming, I would so like to 'see' them lit.

I'm all for recycling but I do object to the council workers (at our local skips) taking items out of the skips and charging people for the items if they are interested in them.

They do get paid for doing a job although I think the workers get more from charging for the goods that people no longer wants than the job pays them ......as they ask that much for the items the cheeky swines!
    Helen.xxx.

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    They have a name for them helen opportunists I call them sh---hawks.

8. dancing queen

dancing queen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Love those lights , i put a three piece suite out for the binmen some years ago when they did`nt charge , it had been out overnite and was soaked by the rain and a neighbour knocked and asked could she have it :eek: Must have taken a lot of drying out . Now if i can`t sell anthing i advertise it for free in the local paper . Must say i picked up a few items for my son when he was setting up home

9. BekiMac

BekiMac Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  10. mackem

mackem Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I use "Freecycle" a lot, just got a breadmaker the other day it works great. [​IMG]

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey Mackem. You can't get me a martinimaker can you? [​IMG]

12. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    think the people of manchester think we have the same system but they didint realise that if its chained up at the side of my bin its not rubbish.so sum smart arse has taken my moterbike :mad: :mad:

13. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    I think I will start to leave 'valuable' rubbish at the end of the road with a sign
    'Take it if you want it'
    At least that would take it out of the hands of the sh""hawks at the refuse dump [​IMG]

14. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Eeee by gum this makes for interesting reading :D

LoL - lovely lights

John - ya could have sold them to a plumber (who had an olive tree [​IMG] )

Walnut - couldn't agree more

D Q - great idea

Mackem - look forward to me loaf :D

IP - get ya owm back and put something next to the bin but cover it in superglu [​IMG]

Whis4ey - Nice one

15. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes whis4ey. I am totally converted to this form of recycling. I've had stuff that I knew was not true rubbish but, just to get rid of it, put it in the wheelie bin. I learned (after my gas bottles) that someone probably wants them (it). So in future I will just leave it outside with a note on - 'Take it' and someone will want it. I actually did this years ago with a teddy bear. I knew it was fine but not valuable. I stuck a note on 'Please give me a home' and left it outside (1 hour). Never thought I'd be doing it with household things. If it doesn't go I can still 'bin' it.

Just goes to show 'Government controlled recycling doesn't actually work.' But what Government controlled, does?