1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden privacy help / ideas

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by barrowvian, Jul 16, 2018.

1. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
    Thank you KFF i will do if they flower :fingers crossed: they started to flower so i nipped them all out, i once did this by mistake and the plant grow very tall with multi heads :fingers crossed:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
      +172
      Bamboo will grow tall and is evergreen. If you are prepared to shell out then you can get fairly mature plants which would provide some instant cover.

• Like Like x 1
      • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
        +10,302
        Yes it works well i have various things growing on it clematis passion flower everlasting pea.
        DSC_0030.JPG DSC_0282.JPG DSC_0283.JPG

• Like Like x 1
        • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
          Ratings:
          +5,404
          He`s just jealous of your spigelias that`s all....:heehee:

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
          Ratings:
          +7,623
          My Mum wouldn't move - because of the neighbours. I say they are being nosey, Mum says they are looking out for her.

I can't drive down there without being clocked by one or other of the neighbours - perhaps Mum is right - it is a good thing to look out for each other.

Really, it's why we didn't go too rural when buying this bungalow - it's important to have a door close by that you can knock on when you need help.:spinning:

• Like Like x 2
          • barrowvian

barrowvian Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +5
            I guess there's positives and negatives in it all.

Anyway, we've been doing a bit of research and have a few ideas. We quite like the look of pleached trees with maybe something like the copper honeysuckle beneath it. That option can give us instant privacy.

The second option is bamboo. I'd read that the majority of bamboo doesn't like clay, but I'm guessing we would be OK to raise the garden up behind the sleepers so that it has better soil conditions. Does anyone know what type of bamboo is used in the image I attached? It came from someones uploaded images on another site and it didn't have any information with it.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Just be very careful about bamboo barrowvian. Most are extremely invasive and aggressive. There are one or two clumping sorts..Fargesia..but the rest are rampant and, eventually in many cases, uncontrollable .
            In your picture it is difficult to say what sort of bamboo that is...
            I would prefer grasses like Miscanthus which will give you that screening in summer without the problems of bamboo :)
            As with everything we plant we should take time out to research thoroughly how it will grow and what it needs:)

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
            Ratings:
            +10,527
            WOW, two doors down. Poor deprived lady, maybe her TV broke.

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
            Ratings:
            +10,527
            Just remembered an interesting thing that happened to me, about window watching. Years ago, like 35 years ago, I was renting this beautiful stone house in a town near me. The building next to me was a doctors and lawyers offices. Doctors downstairs and lawyers upstairs. One night, it was now dark outside, I am at home after work, and I walk into my dark bedroom, which was on the second floor, I was just about to switch on my bedroom lights but I glanced out the window toward the office building and what did I see. On the second floor was one of the lawyers having sex with his office manager, the window curtains are open, the lights are on and my window is level with the X-Rated scene. They must have been into kink, as I clearly saw some ties on her ankles, as her legs were coming up in the air. And he was full naked. Yep, stood there a bit, ashamed to admit. still maintained the dark out in my bedroom, so no one was alerted. Finally, I had enough, and closed my curtains and turned on the lights in my bedroom and went on to whatever . Did peer in later to note that they had closed their drapes. someone got wise. I did see them together in stores shopping once in a while. maybe black mail would have been a good next step for me. LOL.

• Like Like x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1