Garden ruined!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by leonora, Aug 5, 2010.

1. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just got back from holiday to discover that the neighbour had not watered the garden, as he promised...and as a result, almost everything is dead, esp. the climbing plants...no more honeysuckle, no more clematis, no more sweet peas, no more peas or beans...and he let one of the mini-roses die....
    Some of the beans survived, but all the peas died off. The blueberries died, I THINK some of the raspberries may have survived...

I am SO UPSET about this...I haven't seen him , and there MAY be a reason, maybe he was ill or had a family emergency, but if so he could have let me know, surely.

It's not just the expense of replacing the dead items which terrifies me, it's the fact that I spent FOUR YEARS building up the garden from NOTHING, and now I have to cut down all the dead plants and put them in the compost bin, and start again.....

2. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    so sorry to hear this, I know how upset I'd be if it were me.
    Wish I coukd offer more than just my sympathy :(

3. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    What a calamity- how long were you away? Were your plants in containers?

Even the longer established plants died? I can understand annuals and the veg succumbing, but clematis and roses too- that is such a massive shame.

I hope your neighbour has a decent reason, not that it will change the outcome.

Im really sorry to hear your news.

4. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    What a rotten home-coming. I can see why some keen gardeners won't go on holiday during the summer months.

I should wait a bit before you write off the honeysuckle and the clematis. They're both very good at coming back from the dead. I've recently had to hard prune a honeysuckle quite a long way into the old wood and I can already see tiny leaf buds. Clematis will often shoot from the base of the plant.

I do hope you find that you haven't lost as much as you fear.

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Hello Leonora, haven't seen you for a while, obviously because you were away, and what a disasterous homecoming.

Like all your beautifully tended to shrubs and plants ... the neighbour should be dead by now! I know how you have tended your garden over these past years and my heart goes out to you ...

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Not a nice homecoming, but I'm sure it's not as bad as it looks, once you've got over the shock and had a proper inspection. As other others have asked, were things in pots or in the ground? As Clara Lou says, climbers are resilent so fear not. And blueberries should recover as well.

7. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Leonora So sorry to hear such sad news of your garden and plants:( its not much consolation but I think your mini Rose will come through :)

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Leonora, don`t give up just like that. Give everything a good soaking and most of it will come back. I can`t believe the Honeysuckle and Clematis are dead. Soak it all.:gnthb:

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    Count to 10 Leonora, then give it all a good soaking as soon as possible - I'm sure some will recover :thumb:

10. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Oh I can feel your anguish. Such a shame. I would be ripping too. It has been so very dry and hot where you are. I hope your plants revive with a good drink. Then go get your neighbour with an axe. I hate when people say they will do something then don't bother. Grrrrrrr

11. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Sad ...so sad... Come back to us with an update Leonora..please

12. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Leonara, let us know how you are getting on, hope a good watering will make some of them revive.
    I know you cant get the peas and beans going again but the enstablished plants should hopefully come back.

13. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Has your neighbours post built up, is the doorstep full of milk bottles ? If he is still alive offer to look after his kids while he goes on holiday.:grn:

14. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    :rotfl:

15. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
    It may not actually be a total disaster, I saw a huge bumblebee gorging itself on the remaining lavender this morning.
    I don't know what has happened to the neighbour....think he has probably just gone on holiday and forgotten about it. What makes it more annoying is that he has my mobile number, he could have let me know if there was a problem.