garden shredders

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by LittleD, Jan 28, 2011.

1. LittleD

LittleD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me if a garden shredder will shredd newspaper please? It may seem a strange question but I use it as horse bedding and the price has doubled per bale recently - I have loads of newspapers each week and it seems a bit crazy to be paying for chopped up paper and recycling my own, thanks in advance

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I think it will chop it up, leaving something that will compact down - rather than make long thin strips that will be springy & spongy.

If you want the later how about an office shredder?

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have tried it - without success. It mashes it to a pulp rather than, as Kristen says, cutting it into strips. But it also does it very slowly, there is little incentive for the mashed paper to fall out of the bottom, so it just swirls round and round in the cutting chamber.

I would be more inclined to try an old chaff cutter. There must still be plenty around in horse and farming circles.

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I agree with Kristen and Peters. I tried putting paper through my shredder with miserable results so I use a paper shredder instead. Just watch out on a windy day because if you don't dampen the paper after shredding it it looks like you and your neighbours have been holding weddings in yours and their gardens!

5. Iceni

Iceni Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Garden shredders are not designed to shred paper, in fact feeding them with paper is a standard way of assessing their resistance to clogging!