Garden Sloping towards house

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Steven342, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Steven342

Steven342 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am trying to plan how to do my garden and hoped to get some advice.

It's a small garden, at the back of my garden is a public footpath which I have access out onto via my back gate, however the ground gradually declines from this point all the way down a slope until my backstep.

I can see that water is draining down to here.

What I would like to do is build a decking area from my backstep and raise this area up a bit.

Then have a grass area where my son can play with his football and toys, he's only 1.

At the very back is a slab bed area with a small shed and bin storage.

My concern is the gradual decline from the path at the back of my garden all the way down to my house.

2. Guesty

Guesty Gardener

Ratings:
    +191
    Pics will help with this... You may get some more advice or someone who will do a drawing for you ;-)

3. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,628
    Terracing may be the answer :blue thumb:- similar to my garden. My builder friend installed some railway sleepers about a third way down the garden - resting on a concrete base and tied in with sturdy wooden stakes. He used the soil from one terrace to make the previous terrace level. I've installed a garden arch, through which you access the rear terrace - it looks quite effective and was cheap - 2 x £9.99 metal arches one behind the other. Terracing will stop the water run off to your house - the grassed/flower bed areas will absorb it.

Each terrace can be treated as a separate 'garden room' - so one grassed for the children, the other for flower beds, the other for perhaps a patio area.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,983
      Depends on the angle of the slope, mine seems pretty steep being on the side of a hill and when our kids were younger I had to take care where I put the greenhouse etc as they would come hurtling down on their trikes. I've added a couple of terraces over the years so we now have flat areas to play on. You may need to put in a drain to catch the water coming down, I've got two very long 'slit' drains on my patio, when there is a flash storm it takes the water away to a soak-away at the front of our house.