Garden wall/fence/beds?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by forget-me-not, Aug 13, 2008.

1. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a dog and need a way of keeping my dog from the middle/bottom section of the garden where the lawn and childrens play area is.

What are your suggestions? There are obvious choices such as a wall or fence, but I'd like something with as little cost as possible and also, something that doesnt mentally block you out of the garden, more draws you in?

I thought of maybe constructing wooden raised planters (one on each side) and sinking a post in next to these the hang a gate. Or maybe a strong trelis type fence that can have climbers growing up?

I am also at a loss for which climbers will be easy to grow...I am a novice

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    You do realise you are also quite famous on site? Being the 5ooo th member of GC. Congratulations and welcome.:D

3. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Go with the trellis, Jasmine would work well against it.:thumb:

4. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know I just saw that! Waw, what a bit of luck that was on my part :)

Does Jasmine need a lot of care and special treatment?

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Welcome forget-me-not, we've all been waiting for you and been promised a great big party - I hope they aren't going to let us down ;)

I haven't any better answer than David - what about a lead? (Sorry thats not very helpful is it).

6. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ooo party :) No, a lead isnt much help :P but thanks for the welcome :)

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I'd like something with as little cost as possible"

I'm afraid my suggestion isn't cheap, but just in case useful:

We have an "invisible fence" - basically a wire that you bury a couple of inches down, which receives some sort of signal from a control box and our dogs wear a special (rechargeable) collar that beeps if they go near the perimeter (and then shocks them if they don't move away).

There is a training regime to go through - the metal shock-prongs are replaced with plastic ones so the dog can learn the Beep means to move away (reinforced by your verbal command and a sharp jerk on a lead) without getting zapped!

People think our dogs have exemplary behaviour - when I take folks into the garden the dogs just sit there calmly until I call them to me. Just a side effect of them "staying put" when they have the special collars on - although they do move around the area and play tag etc.

Works well There are several brands of "invisible fence" but the one we chose is http://www.innotek.net/

8. spotofbother

spotofbother Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the trelis sunk in to the ground. And yes, Jamine, beautifully fragrant, white flowering, I have just grown 3 plant from seed, 2 that I took from the Jasmine I bought before leaving my last home, and one I picked from a pub garden (is that an offence?)!!! Mind you, you have many climbers to choose from.

9. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    For the Jasmine I would go for Beesianum for summer ( pink flowers ) and nudiflorum for winter ( yellow flowers ). And Kristen, aren`t those collars illegal now?:)

10. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, those dog collars don't sound too nice for the dog.
    I think a fence with a nice gateway is prob the best answer.
    How big is your dog? I have to have a 6 ft high gate to stop mine getting onto the road (very busy road), I don't think they'd ever go past that point if the gate was open but I daren't risk it. I have trained them not to go on the veg patch or flower borders.

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Re the collar,

They arent illegal and they work well, The shock is only a very small part of the training and the dog learns quickly.

No more harmfull than an electric fence for horses.

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "And Kristen, aren`t those collars illegal now?"

They aren't trying to electrocute the dog, just reinforce the training. I've held the prongs (by accident) whilst walking through the gate and I know that the shock is just that, not a pain inducing experience.

Anyway, the dog (unlike me!) is smart enough to not go near the fence. We've had the control unit turned off for days (another human error) and just putting the collar on the dog does the trick now.

13. anakat

anakat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Those collars are great and though it says shock. it is just like the static shock you get from some things, makes you jump but doesn't hurt, and they soon learn where they are allowed to go.

14. plantlife

plantlife Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome forgetmenot, grats on being 5000th :D

15. forget-me-not

forget-me-not Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you plantlife :)

oh my days, I attacked the front garden the weekend. Pulled out all the ivy as I was worried it'd grow up the house. If i'd have known how hard it was to remove, i dont think i'd have ever planted it lol

Backgarden has had to go on the back burner, just had the bathroom plastered so a new bath etc and tiles will come first