Gardeners world... A joke

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Pro Gard, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Watched Fridays episode on I player...... I thought previous episodes had been bad like the suggestion of cutting laurel hedges with secateurs or newspaper under privet to catch the clippings.

But.... The tree planting! One of the trees was dyeing, when planting the liquidambar the root ball wasn’t broken, all he mentioned was to 'tickle it'. The stake went in before the tree and the end of the stake was split.

But let’s not forget the newspaper!!!!!!!!!

I was virtually in tears I was laughing that much!!!!!!!!!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,991
    Reminds me years ago when my Dad (a farmer) used to watch Emerdale Farm purely to spot the mistakes.

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I er, am going top disgree about the laurel hedging. I do mine with secauteurs and loppers for exactly the reason-I don`t want to see shredded up leaves on a large leafed hedge. But granted the newspaper idea was a bit patronising.

I hate it the way it is at the moment. I miss Geoff.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: I have to agree Lolli.. I hate GW, the way it is now anyway....!!!!! Except for Alys..:D

:scratch: Anyway. unless it is a huge huge hedge perhaps, the only nice way to prune Laurel is with secateurs & clippers.....! Even the RHS says that...!!!!
    :mad: I certainly wouldn't pay anyone to cut mine with a mechanical trimmer... A properly trimmed Laurel looks lovely.... You see plenty of people paying to have then clipped as opposed to slashed...!! :thumb:

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Alys or Sarah?

I know someone who is mad about Sarah Raven.

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "I certainly wouldn't pay anyone to cut mine with a mechanical trimmer... A properly trimmed Laurel looks lovely.... You see plenty of people paying to have then clipped as opposed to slashed"

I feel insulted by your comments.

You clearly have never used a sharp petrol hedge trimmer, I cut many laurel hedges, I cut them 3 times a year resulting in soft stems that cut cleanly there are very few cut leaves and the top of the hedge remains straight enough for a spirit level.

My machine is hand sharpened twice a year with a 1m single sided blade, the blade reveloutions are high and the finish is excelent. Using an upward cut when doing the sides, you cut stems not leaves.

I run a profeshional business for discerning clients and none of them would pay for a slashed hedge, nor would I produce one. All are happy to pay me to cut mecanicly and these are million pound type propertys were in two cases the hedge is a focal point of the garden setting off the viewe.

In a few weeks Im back to a house were I cut the laurel 3 weeks ago, ill post a pic and prove you wrong.

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Honest Paul-I`d pay you come round and do some manual work for me.

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    purely and simply I feel that even when broadcasting for amateurs the correct advice should be given. A split stake end would not be acceptable to any professional gardener, so why treat the public with such contempt.

A liquidambar is not a cheap tree, planting without breaking the root ball has potential to lead to failure of the tree, to negate to mention such an important element of tree planting is REALLY sad.

9. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I did cringe the other week when Alys was sorting through Digitalis seeds and plants without wearing protective gloves because some of us know that most of the plant including the seeds are poisonous {eek} but not many newbies to gardening will know that,and I think she could have waited until Toby had finished showing us all how to make the cold frame before coming in to talk to him.

Considering Toby has been thrown in at the deep end I think he is doing a good job.I still think Geoff was the best and eventually warmed to Alan and Monty but I am willing to let the new kid on the block show us what he is made of.

I only have one other thing to say and that is...BRING BACH CHRIS BEARDSHAW,oh and sorry about the spelling mistakes,I am still half asleep.:D

PS,can't comment on cutting Laurel etc as we pulled all ours up where we used to live and has anyone seen the state of the hedgerows after the farmers have had a go at them.....Now don't start me off on that one :lollol:

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Touched a raw nerve there Paul.

Alys is "special"

:flag:

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Lol Claire!

Roders,
    Its not petty at all, it’s simply a dislike of bad advice being given.

As a BBC program a proportion of my licence fee goes into the production of it therefore I have a right to feel indignant when bad practice is shown.

12. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I don't watch gardeners world any more either.
    But then I dont watch films any more, or any television, I've just become far too critical, partly my fault and partly the programme makers.

Lets face it, after god knows how many years of gardeners world, what can they come up with that new, might just as well show a few oldies from the seventies with Geoff Hamilton:)

PS, just worked out the spell check thing, not sure if everyone's getting it but, if you get a red line under just right click and it tells you how to spell all sorts of words that are similar.:D

13. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I think most folk miss Geoff Hamilton, he reminded me of my uncle who was forever gardening and talked non stop about his plot:) The recycling of materials was amazing....Boots for pots to stockings for onion storing:thumb:...But the main thing was that he was always asking others for ideas and tips...:)

14. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    That's what I liked about Titchy. Always somethig New. BUt whe the next guy took over, it was same old same old and I switched off.

15. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Titchy made everything in the garden seem possible:luv:, you certainly couldn't say the same of his successor. Chris Beardshaw leaving at the sametime was a double wammy for a cracking format IMHO.:(