Gardening by Moon Phases

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,092
  2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I remember my father always planted his potatoes on Good Friday which is determined by the moon. Good Friday is the first Friday on or after the first full moon an or after the 21st (Spring equinox) March. And guess what? This year full moon (Good Friday) is the 21st March. So Easter is as early as it can possibly be.

Strange thing is my dad didn't do anything else at all by the moon. Maybe insanity runs in the family?

Sorry I'm not a newcomer LoL.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Traditionally, you should plant your shallots on the shortest day and harvest them on the longest day. So would that be classed as gardening by moon phases or sun phases? [​IMG]

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Ah David. That is the Korean method of gardening. Named after their supreme gardener. Sun Moon. [​IMG]

5. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
  6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes. He once married over 100 shallots to over 100 new potatoes at one sitting. Of course he was on the gravy train.

7. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    He was probably a bit stewed at the time.

8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I bought a book on this subject for my sister as a present, as she listens to a man who calls himself the Moon Gardener in Cornwall. I tried to read it but it was very indigestable. I don't think my sister ever read it. But there is no question that he was a very good gardener - there was a tour of his garden on TV. His book placed enormous emphasis on crop rotation, ground preparation and feeding etc - very little space was given to the actual timing of sowing.

As frogesque said before, I suspect that he is an excellent old fashioned gardiner, who would probably have done just as well whenever he planted his veg. I can see no scientific basis for it. It strikes me it a bit like homeopathy. It works if you believe in it. However this site does imply that there is some evidence. http://www.lunarorganics.com/moon_gardening_questions.html

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Peter. I can find 'evidence' that smoking is good for you. I think you and frogesque are right. Like my old dad he is just a good gardener who knows when to feed, when not to feed, where to plant and certainly when not to plant. Nothing to do with the moon I suspect, it's just that the earliest you can get away with planting your tatties is the end of March.

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,092
    Hello, guys .. this is all very interesting and amusing but I don't think I'm finding anything constructive here! But thanks for your interesting views so far. :rolleyes:

May have to wait till Marley comes on tomorrow.

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    LoL. I think you will find that behind the humour is the message that none of us are very impressed by moon-shine. It may work in some instances but there is always another reason which is rather more scientific.

12. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Will be back in the morning! ;) :D

13. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Marley, keep it clean. [​IMG] :D :D

14. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Ok LoL..
    Well I found that it worked.. I think.! :D

As well as controlling the tides the moon controls the moisture content in the soil.

There are two periods: the waxing moon, which is the growing moon from new to full. That's when the moisture level in the soil is at it's highest and when you should do your planting.

The waning moon which is from full to last quarter. That's when the moisture content is at its lowest and there's less sap rising in your trees and shrubs so it's when you should do your pruning.

It seemed to me the flowering plants flowered longer & better, if they were planted on a waxing moon than the ones sown anytime..! Also the tomato plants I tried also cropped a little heavier & sooner than the ones just sown at any time..!

So as far as I can tell it worked.. I did wonder if I was fussing them more, but I don't really think so.. I certainly tried to treat them the same way I always treat my seedlings...! ;)

Biodynamic farmers have been using the lunar calendar for the last half century. It's now a world-wide movement and their results in yields and rhythm of growth are worth taking account of.

I was given a book & that is what I went by. I have lent it to a friend at the moment. Amazon has some good ones or there are some sites as well..

[​IMG] Have sown some seeds recently so we shall see if it works again!

These are some good links..
    http://www.new-age.co.uk/moon-dates.htm

http://www.lunarorganics.com/moon_gardening_principles.html

http://www.astro3.demon.co.uk/index.htm

[​IMG] Well plenty to think about there I think.. Has your friend got a book, or have they just decided to give it a try LoL.??

Well as I say I hope this is some help..! ;) :D

15. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,092
    Hello, Marley. [​IMG] Thank you so much for the information and I am sorry it's taken a few days to come back to you.

I have passed the information along to my friend ... I don't think he has any books ... he seems to think I am one. :rolleyes:

He has sold his exotic garden centre, but still has the landscape business and is now "building" an eco-friendly accommodation site on his little farm up in the hills ... I will personally continue to use his people-friendly facilities when I visit. :D We are going there the weekend of 1/2 March so we'll be able to catch up on what's going on and perhaps I'll take some piccies.