Gardening by the Moon?????

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Marley Farley, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :rolleyes: No I'm not going bonkers...!!! I was given a little booklet at Christmas about "gardening by the moon". It tells you when to sow, plant, take cuttings, harvest, feed, & water by the phases of the moon. There are some great claims by the authers. :confused: I am very interested by their claims. :confused: So was wondering if anybody else out there gardened this way. It seems to be a strict but simple regime. I did sow some seeds last Wed as they said after soaking them for 12hrs & they germinated within 24hr. So far very sturdy & strong. :confused:
    So does anybody else garden this way??????????? [​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,981
    Heard of it, not tried it. [​IMG]

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Like Pete, I've heard of it Marley, but never tried it. Sorry

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Nope! Temperature and daylight are the critical factors. Phase of moon doesn't come into it for me.

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I also have a 'moon planting' booklet.. I bought it after talking to a herb grower at Laycock Abbey who was very certain that it worked! I am too disorganised to follow its' advice rigorously, but I have a quick look to see if I should hold off for a few days or rush out right that minute... It also has lots of advice about companion planting and biological and plant remedies which are useful and sensible.
    There is a vineyard in Australia which not only uses'Moon planting' but goes the whole hog and follows bio-dynamic principles [includes planetary influences as well]! Far too complicated for me...
    I'm quite prepared to accept that the moon's gravity has some effect on plant growth. ;)

6. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] As I say have tried it on a batch of seeds, but that doesn't prove anything I know. I do find it fascinating though as I have noticed that plants respond to all the equinox's. I don't think I could do it rigidly & meticulously but maybe I will heed the planting times etc this year & see what happens.... ;) :D I know there are allot of growers out there who do grow by it, I just can't see whether their claims are true.... :D Liz did you notice if there was any difference when you did follow it???? Just have to try it I suppose. Anybody else got any thoughts?????????????????????????????????????

[ 11. February 2006, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

7. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I do suspect that growers who follow a rigourous lunar cycle for planting might also have the interest and discipline to lavish that extra bit of TLC on their seedlings. I don't rule out a moon influence but I'm very sceptical.

Get the soil, temperature, moisture and daylight right and plants are pretty good at growing themselves.

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Oh, I agree frogesque, but you know how some things just seem to kind of keep prodding you to do it?? Well this seems to be doing that to me... :rolleyes: I am very sceptical but seriously thinking of trying it on a trial batch, just to see. ;)

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    What I have noticed is that general quality of seedlings is better. I agree with Frogesque that it might be just that I am taking more care, as opposed to my former 'bung it in and forget it' style. Nevertheless I shall continue, it can't possibly harm the plants and I think it does me some good! :D :D

10. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Well I think I have decided to try a couple of experimental grows using this system, start to finish. The rest I will do in my usual fashion & compare the rates of growth etc. Unless of course anyone knows aything different.... ;)
    I will see if I can get a regular post sorted out for this.... :D

[ 11. February 2006, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

11. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    [​IMG] My husband has for years bought 'Old Moores Almanac' and they have information on planting by the moon, and even the best time of day to plant!
    But I can't see that would be practical if it is say, pouring with rain, at that time or if you've got other things to do! [​IMG]
    Anyone tried it?

12. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Well jjordie, I see where you are coming from, but after all it is only advice & that is open to interpretation :D :D :D You certainly won't see me out planting in the rain unless it is rice......!! :D :D I think I will do a little trial just to satisfy my curiosity & shut myself up,, :rolleyes: if nothing else....!! :D

[ 11. February 2006, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]