Gardening in the rain!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Palustris, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Next Saturday we are having a big Garden Party for my wife's 60th. birthday. At present there should be in the region of 34 people attending (if they all make it!). I have spent the last few days, doing those jobs which have to be done close to the event. I mean things like edging the lawns, cutting the grass etc. If done too far in advance they have to be done again. The rain has not helped, time has had to be spent putting in supports for plants which have been made top heavy by the rain.
    It is perhaps a good job we are not overlooked as anyone would think I had gone crackers, working under a big umbrella in the pouring rain.
    For the benefit of those who do not know, I worked out that there is about 2 kilometres of lawn edging by the way.
    Someone once said that they way to make it look as if you actually did some gardening was to mow the grass and trim the edges. But surely not in the rain!

2. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Well done Palustris: I am sure that the guests will appreciate your hard work.
    Now, let's just hope that the weather will not spoil everything...

4. anthea

anthea Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats to your wife Palustris [​IMG] Well done for being so organised I just hope everyone appreciates it [​IMG] I'm sure your wife will!! [​IMG]

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,457
    Well done on the gardening in the rain. [​IMG]

I thought I had enough edging to do with about half a kilometre. I don't think I could survive 2km :eek: :eek:

Mrs shiney and I wish Mrs P all the best for her birthday and hope the day goes very well. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Congratulations to your wife Pal on her forthcomming birthday, as for gardening in the rain I do it all the time just put the weather gear on and get out there, I have ordered you a nice day for saturday good luck.

7. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Gosh sounds like you have been busy! I think it's becoming the norm at the moment to have to Garden in the rain isn't it!

Take care

Paul

8. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Still raining and daft as it sounds been out watering! Admittedly in the alpine house. Thansk for the good wishes and the cartoons, very welcome laugh.
    The bottom lawns still need cutting and their edges 'edging' then that's it. As a friend said, "If anyone wants it looking better they can have a pair of gadening gloves, a trowel and a bucket and go do it themselves."
    Actually most of the guests are gardeners so they probably could be trusted to do some weeding. MMMM, now there's a thought. Never mind the party games, prize for the one who brings the most nettles? bindweeed? ground elder? Gosh, could get the whole place cleared up!
    Instead of Spin the Bottle they could play collect the broken bottle. I could go on like this for ages, but there is work to be done!
    Thanks again folks!

9. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    And to add insult to injury, tomorrow the electricity is due to be off all day.
    It is still raining by the way and the lawnmower keeps getting clogged up 'cos the grass is too wet!

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Palustris - I admire your spirit. A true gardener.

I know you have other short term objectives, but it is a marvellous time for mulching. I have been mulching up and down in my wellies for a couple of days. :D

11. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Would love to go and mulch the borders, but the stuff needs shredding first and it is too wet to go through the shredder.
    Anyway at present the only 'ing' going on here with wellies is squelch rather than mulch!
    To be honest I am so fed up now that I could cancel the whole thing and take her out somewhere INDOORS for the day!
    Usually taken pictures for the Garden in July invitation, but what is the point when it is so dark?

12. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The weather forecast for Saturday is quite optimistic. I would love to cut my lawn. Do they make any amphibious lawn mowers?

13. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Geoff,

How about combining a manual powered mower with a snorkel?

Scuba-mowing could be Britain's shot at the next Olympic's.

TO :D

14. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    The edges are now edged. Tomorrow I will have to strim the waste land just round from the garden so there is enough parking. Then we willl try to erect the Marquee. If you hear any screaming tomorrow, it is probably me!

15. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :D

Remember last year, when we were told to buy drought loving plants to cope with this new climate warming? This year we are told to get used to the rain because of global warming, do we buy bog plants now? Which type will fair better I wonder :D