Gardening with The Moon and Biodynamiques (Part Three)

Discussion in 'What To Do This Month' started by Biofreak, Mar 17, 2024.

1. Biofreak

Biofreak Apprentice Gardener

Artisan
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Everyone
    Welcome to all of you who have moved across from GW. Watch this Thread for your Lunar Diary following the phases of the Moon. How to make Biodynamique Préparations and the Monthly Lunar Weather Predictions for the month ahead.
    For those of you new to Biodynamic Gardening. Permaculture & Gardening by the Moon. Do not hesitate to ask questions . We covered many Subjects & Tutorials in Parts 1 & 2 but are happy to repeat information.
    18th -21st March sees the Moon descending, so it is time to prick out seedlings under cover,and pop young plants into their final positions .
    If you are pruning Climbers like Wisteria, now is the time as with the Moon descending the sap will not be rising. Ideal dates are 18/19th and 28/29th March which are Flower Days. Avoid pruning if frost forecast and cut away dead wood and the weakest seems.
    Welcome again, and thank you GC for taking us into your Forum. Much appreciated.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,228
      Hi @Biofreak

Glad you got here. No seedlings to prick out here as it's been too cool and dark to sow any. However, the forecast for the Vendée is brighter later this week and we've gone up to 17C briefly in the last few afternoons despite grey skies and rain.

Hoping it's going to be enough to get some weeding done, plant the spuds and sow some seeds in the polytunnel -once we've cleaned it out. Still have old chillies to pull up and the citrus, fuchsia and canna pots to move out plus all the seed trays to sort out.

• Like Like x 2
      • Biofreak

Artisan
        Ratings:
        +22
        Hi.
        Glad we moved over from GW sucessfully! Just planted first bag Spring Onions in Polytunnel, just too wet outside but getting warmer. Hurray!

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,690
        I guess that depends on your location, We usually get frosts here till April, even May.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,690
        Forgot to say welcome to the forum :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Biofreak

Artisan
          Ratings:
          +22
          Quite right common sense must prevail, but if you are planning to pot on or plant out in Greenhouse or Poly tunnel beds now is a good time to do it

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
          Ratings:
          +1,148
          Welcome to this forum.
          While dubious, can we access parts 1 &2 ?

• Obelix-Vendée

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,228
        • Biofreak

Artisan
          Ratings:
          +22
          Hi everyone...Only too happy to repeat sessions as info is constantly updated. Most items are covered in my Calender but if you have a specific question, please don't hesitate.
          Managed to mow the lawn today, and delighted to see Dandelions coming, so I shall be making Dandelion Jelly next weekend. Storms predicted here for rest of week, so shall knuckle down to adding to this Thread.

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Obelix-Vendée

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,228
            Hi @Biofreak . Still not sown anything here but I have cleaned the polytunnel and re-organised it ready for sowing seeds under cover this week. We too have wet stuff and windy bits forecast all week.

I've also sorted out my chilli and tomato seeds ready for sowing early next week.

OH has made a start on strimming and mowing our grass but it's more meadow quality than lawn and his sit-on can't cope......... Not a happy bunny.

• Biofreak

Artisan
            Ratings:
            +22
            Hi Everyone, I hope you all had a good Easter weekend despite the weather. The lunar weather predicted for April shows warmer and drier between 8-15th April with few showers. 16-18th hot but cold at night with storms in some areas. 19-25th very hot with violent storms predicted and some hail. 26-29th wet again I'm afraid and globally cooler 30th April things start to improve again Source. Astro-meteorologie.
            Eclipse of the Sun 8th April
            Whilst the ground is still too wet to plant my potatoes (I'm going to revert back to growing them in pots this year) the Spinach has sprouted in the Raised Beds and my Hydrangea Cuttings that I took last July have formed nice solid plants ready to go outside.
            So what to do during the next few days?
            5/6th April are Flower Days with the Moon In front of the Air Constellation Aquarius Sow Grasses and Hardy Annuals in trays, keeping the soil moist but not wet. In a Nursery Bed sow Cauliflower s and Broccoli .
            7th April no gardening recommended until after 1.45pm (British Time) as Moon perigee.
            8th April no gardening recommended until after 8.10am (British Time) as noued ascending.
            The 7/8/ and 9th (the latter up until 11.35am) are Leaf Days with the Moon In front of the Water Constellation Pisces . Sow Celery and Fennel under cover together with some Leeks.
            9/10th April Are Fruit Days with the Ascending Moon in front of the Fire Constellation ♈.In warmer ares sow Melons and Cucumbers in pots (3 seeds to a pot, means you can save the strongest pair) Under covet stary off some Dwarf Haricot Beans.
            Don"t be fooled by the predicted heat, we have still got to get past 13th May and the Saints de Glaces to avoid frosts.
            Just started to eat the first Asparagus..thought I had lost it as Dogs decided to go digging. Covered bed with netting. Garlic doing really well and Golden Beetroot has sprouted but no sign of standard red globe variety.
            Happy Gardening.

• Obelix-Vendée

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,228
            Thanks @Biofreak .

I've sown garlic kale, Little Gem lettuce and Swiss chard on leaf days last weekend and already have some of each peaking thru. Sowed choggia and cylindra beets on a root day but only have choggia showing so far. Sowed PSB and some ornamentals on a flower day but only have ivory California poppies showing so far. All these kept in the plastic covered shelves in the polytunnel.

Yesterday I sowed 5 chillies and 9 tomato varieties plus some curcubits. They have bottom heat so fingers crossed they're warm enough.

Like you, it's too wet to plant the seed potatoes but they are, at last, sprouting enough to go out so lets hope we do get a few dry days.

The garlic and shallots are looking good and the rhubarb is happy too tho nothing like as vigorous and strong as the ones we grew in Belgium. They were massive.

• Biofreak

Artisan
            Ratings:
            +22
            Hi Everyone..So looking forward to exhibiting at first Garden Fair of the Season this coming weekend at Chateau Pommerio. Treveneuc in Brittany. Managed to make Dandelion Jelly but not enough Nettles ready yet for Nettle & Ginger. However with 870 Botanical Cakes under my belt I should be able to supply hungry mouths!! Last year Dandelion & Lemon was the favourite closely followed by Rosemary & Chocolate so plenty in hand.
            At last I've been able to sow Tomatoes/Cucumbers and some Peppers as a few seed left..
            11/12/13th April are Root Days with the Moon in front of ♉ Taurus. Sow some Parsnips and try Salsify for a change this year. Very delicate flavour.
            14/15th are Flower Days with ascending Moon in front of ♊ Gemini. Plant out Begonia Semperflorens .Pelergoniums and some Pot Marigolds . Plant out Cauliflower and Broccoli sown 9/10th March. Make borders now of Lavender and Rosemary.
            16/17th April are Leaf Days. Under cover sow some Scarole and Summer Lettuce. And prick out Basil sown 11/12th March
            18/19th and 20th up to 2.15pm British Time (No gardening recommended before 8.20am on 20th as ♌ Leo in Conflict with ♈ Aries. Fruit Days. under Cover Plant out Tomato Aubergine ️ Peppers & Chili sown7th February and Cucumber sown 5/6th March Melon sown 13/14th March and Courgette and Pumpkin sown 2nd April. If you are visiting a Nursery or Garden Fair these days are great for planting out bought in plants
            I shall be on the look out for new herbs at the Fair, as my Sage &Thyme did not get through the Winter mainly due to age primarily and the wet weather. I prefer to buy in Herbs as I have never been successful with seed
            So there we are. At last things are beginning to take shape in our Gardens. In the new Gravel Garden my Irises have just started to flower and so have the Californian Poppies. All very rewarding .
            Happy Gardening.

• Like Like x 1
            • Obelix-Vendée

Retired
              Ratings:
              +2,228
              Thanks @Biofreak.

My sage has made it thru winter bu is looking chewed so i'm planning to move it and/or take cuttings for growing somewhere that gets winter sun. Rosemary, thymes, bay all fine but the tarragon is being very shy so I'm on the lookout for a new one. The mints stayed out in their pots all winter and are just showing growth whereas the lemon balm is bursting forth.

I sowed 3 basils and some coriander but, so far, just have teeny wee Greek basils and one teeny coriander. On the other hand, the tomatoes and curcubits I sowed are doing well but only 2 jalapeno chillies so far. 4 more chillies also being shy.

I'm hoping to get my potatoes planted tomorrow or Friday. No rain forecast for 4 days so maybe they won't drown.

Lots of lovely baby brassicas coming thru plus choggia and rhubarb chard.

I sowed some flowering plants too and the ivory escholzia are the only show so far.

• Like Like x 1
              • Biofreak

Artisan
                Ratings:
                +22
                Hi Everyone..not sure if this thread is reaching you as have not heard from GWRS. Am I doing something wrong..should I be on a Specific Forum?.Either way the Garden Fair was brilliant at Treveneuc. Just back from UK. Tempted to bring back Sprouting Broccoli plants as all my showings have failed but of course illegal after Brexit. Off to Dinard next weekend participating at Festival de Nature. Tomato plants just beginning to come up in polytunnel and Garlic romping along as are Spring Onions . 28/29 and 30th April up to 2.30pm are Fruit Days. Sow Beetroot where you wish to harvest and dow Melons and some Haricot Beans in pockets of 3 to 5 seeds 40/50cms apart with no less than 75cms apart to endure airflow and room for growth. Watch out for Lunar Weather Prediction for May later this week. Obélix am I on the right Thread for general distribution, or is it only you seeing this??