Gardening without a car

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by foxie, Mar 23, 2009.

1. foxie

foxie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, have just posted my intro and one of the things that has been a bit of a stumbling block on the gardening from has been our lack of car to haul around plants, mulch, and other bits and bobs. We live pretty centrally in London and so don't really have a need for one generally, nor do we have licenses. I've done a bit of mail order for seeds and bulbs, and that works well, but I'm really wanting to do more garden shopping in person. Anyone else in this predicament? How does your gardening differ when you are limited to what you can carry?

2. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think that's a good point Foxie - most of us garden types are all for saving the environment, being green etc, then all hop in our cars for a trip down the plant centre/nursery to stock up on all those bargains! I am guilty for one! :)

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I get lots of things from ebay or other online suppliers - in particular seeds/plants. As well as saving fuel I don't particulary like wasting time driving to a Garden Centre just for a packet of seeds. It just means thinking and planning a little bit ahead.

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I would probably spend less which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It was the way of gardening of old to have all your nursery catalogues to peruse when it was too dark and cold to go outside, and village fayres and local markets were very important.

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Bags of compost was always the issue for me when I was living and gardening in London. This was in the days before online shopping. I found a florist that sold them not far away for an extortiant amount, but sellers market and all that.

Now I'd think it would be a case of bulk buying and paying one delivery charge for a large amount, rather than several small trips. I know Homebase/B&Q do deliveries here (no idea of charges though) and if you have a Wilkinson's or similar nearby, perhaps a taxi to take them home?

But yes, a car is a luxury in London and not really required. Just need to be a little bit more ingenious with your shopping trips :)

6. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't Drive :)

There is a garden centre a 15 min walk away from me and I buy most of my stuff from there and the Wilkinsons in the local town a 25 min walk away.

Big items I get my mum or stepdad to take me but only when they're going or driving past.

I don't order alot online as I don't buy things in big bulk and find the postage not worth it most of the time so if I can't get it from neer me I go without. I usually only shop online for bargains, special offers, free postage or with the £5 vouchers T&M keep sending me :)

7. Organoponico

Organoponico Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When we lived in London (SE1 and N8) we loved to go to the Columbia Road Flower Market, nearest Tube was Bethnal Green (15mins walk). A nice way to spend a summer Sunday morning/afternoon...a street lined with temporary pitches, mostly selling annuals, perenials, house plants, some cut flowers, shrubs, trees and all kinds of tiny things like succulents and cacti. Huge selection, exactly like an eclectic garden centre not to mention the numerous shops dotted along the road selling antiques, art, quality take away food etc.

Frugal people may turn up their noses at 'the Columbia' but there is a way to go about it...go early and just look and enjoy and towards the end of the market there will be a buzz in the air when stallholders sell off most of their pitch because they don't want to pack up and haul it back to their warehouses. Expect bargains, 2 for 1 and East End banter and bargaining. I've picked up large speciman plants for less than half price and hauled them home on the bus on my lap. It's a real laugh and a proper Columbia Road experience to haul away big plants on public transport. Go with friends or family.

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Forgot about Columbia Road! Brilliant Sunday morning excursion and not unusual to see people walking away from a successful shopping trip carrying plants of all shapes and sizes :) I think I bought several large plants and brought them home on a vespa (balanced between my feet on the running boards!). I still have a Bay and a jasmine that I bought there and later brought with me when I moved to Sussex.

9. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    At some of the larger general diy centres (eg Homebase and B&Q) you can visit the shop, choose your stuff, then ask them to deliver it for a reasonable fee.

10. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    A cyclist friend of mine has an allotment and I gave him the cycle trailer I had in the yard. He now uses it to carry tools and supplies, even went to collect a computer with it.

11. foxie

foxie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions all! I had totally forgotten about Columbia Road, too! We went a few times when we first moved here 5 years ago when we did our first round of houseplants & bought our baby christmas tree, but haven't been back since. I suppose it would be time to revisit!

Good call on the bike trailer - we don't have bikes (am terrified of biking in central London), but I'm wondering if a little wagon might not also do the trick. We would certainly get funny looks on buses with it, but that may be a small price to pay for its extra usefulness.

Will also have to check out Homebase and B&Q (what does that stand for?) Any other gerden centres that are delivery friendly?

12. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Check out any garden centres local to you. They might offer a delivery service, depending on the amount you buy, the cost might be minimal or nothing, especially in these recession times!

13. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Hi,
    I have the same problem. Online shopping and mail order are great, then again as everybody tends to deliver by post (and we are lucky enough to have full time jobs = nobody at home) it's a drag to get the things firstly transferred to the local post and then picking them up.
    I abuse my colleagues, sending emails "anybody going to garden centre this weekend, publunch for the driver" etc.
    Some years ago I bought a small armchair from a charity shop and took it home in the tram. A very pleasant journey and at least I for once had a seat on that tram... be bold and inventive. Taxis work, buses are fine and if you are lucky enough to have a pleasant neighbour even postal deliveries can be arranged.
    Go, carless world, go!

14. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I cycle and have a bag that I throw over the back of the bike which I use for bulky stuff and before my oh moved in (with the car) I used to taxi for big bits....

15. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Here's a suggestion. What about starting a new thread "Hitchhike" where you could post your nearest nursery/ garden centre details you want to visit and ask for a lift from your fellow GC? A suitable compensation from a door-to-door service might be a good plant or a pub lunch or anything to cover the time and effort.

Mine is Peter Barratt's in Longbenton, Newcastle, just around the corner but not bus friendly. £10 plant is on me for a friendly chaffouir. And I'd love to meet you irl as well.