gardens in Cornwall

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Royster1, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Royster1

Royster1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello folks, thought I would pop this question in here rather than trailing through hundreds of posts trying to find the info.
    I am heading to Cornwall early next month and wonder - other than Heligan, Tresco and Eden Project - what would GC members recommend to be gardens well worth a visit in that area please?
    Kind regards
    Roy

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    My favourites are Glendurgan and Trebah, both near Falmouth. Also worth a visit is Burncoose nursery and garden, if you have some money to spend!
    Here's a list:
    http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/gardens/
    There are so many it's always a matter of personal choice [​IMG]

3. Royster1

Royster1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liz, the pics of Trebah are fantastic but as you say Glendurgan is worth a visit too. I can't wait to see these places but limited to 7 days in Cornwall and then 2 days in Devon.
    Should be good!
    Kind regards
    Roy

4. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Also look out for Lamorran House at St Mawes - it's a hillside garden with fab views and lots of statues, follies, trickling rills, amazing planting - do go there, it's wonderful.

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Add to the list Trellisick - and Heligan is worth two visits - a truly magical place.

Tiarella - you just woke a memory. I went to St Mawes on my Cornish trip last year, and loved it. There's a magical craft shop - with some of the most wonderful bird carvings i have ever seen. Way out of my price range, - but could not resistsome hand blown glass with swirling effect, called Cornish seas. I couldn't remember the name of the female artist though -
    so googled it, and there she was

"'Cornish Seas' Vase by Lesley Clarke

Lesley's work is mainly experimental, each piece developing during the process, the colours and the shapes everchanging. The molton glass is taken from the furnace on a blowing iron and rolled onto pre-arranged colours. After re-heating and further manipulation of the colours the glowing mass is blown and shaped freehand into its final form. In this moment the imagery is fixed for eternity."

mine is the most lovely greeny colour with the swirl of the surf around the base and with a fluted top. Very evocative

[ 24. June 2007, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Fran ]

6. Royster1

Royster1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tiarella for your thoughts about Lamorran House at St Mawes. I shall have to try my best to get to there.

Fran, thanks too for Trellisick and Heligan. And also for the info about Lesley Clarke.
    I'll try to see a similar fluted topped swirl surfed around the base with a greeny evocative colour swirlyish blown glass thingy on my travels as well - I promise!

Thanks ladies!

Kind regards
    Roy

7. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Or there's Lanhydrock (my favourite). Castle Drogo in Devon is worth a look too if you're heading that way. The garden behind the Old Post Office in Tintagel may be postage stamp size but full of lovely plants. Sorry these are all Trustie properties but being a member I sort of get in for free.

8. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lanhydrock gets my vote too, Heligan and Eden did nothing for me, except take money out of my pocket that would have been better spent elsewhere.
    Another small garden worth a mention is Clovelly Court, just over the county border in North Devon, includes a pleasant woodland walk.

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Mike, didn't you like the walled veg garden at Heligan, and it's multiple varieties of figs?
    If you visit Glendurgan my mum and dad have a memory bench there-John and Mary Macaulay. It was their favourite.
    Happy memories of the other gardens, Trelissick and Lanhydrock are both great. I haven't been to Cornwall for a few years now :(

10. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Heligan aint all that guys....Trebah have done it better, in my humble opinion!! Trevarno near Helston is also worth a look [​IMG]

11. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Heligon Is brilliant,especially the walled kitchen and vegetable garden.We have been there three times and love it each time we go.Even the Wilderness bit was on Spring Watch with the Barn Owls :cool:

12. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Heligan we found too big, with not much variety, maybe earlier in the year it might be a bit better (we went in September). We went to Lanhydrock the same week and it was much more colourful.
    Flowers are our main interest in a garden, for us fruit and veg belong in market gardens, orchards, allotments or one's own plot.

Each to his/her own.

13. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I put in my vote for Heligan, we absolutely loved it especially the jungle area and the veg gardens and the views are stunning.

14. Royster1

Royster1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for their points of view about where to visit! I would love to see them all, if I had the time!
    Kindest regards to you all!
    Roy

15. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I would invite you to see my garden except I'd be too embarrassed as it's full of weeds :D