Garrya elliptca

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jerry Cornelius, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Jerry Cornelius

Jerry Cornelius Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I grow this as an espalier? If so, how is it pruned - what age wood are the flowers borne on? I really like this, but don't have room to let it grow (or any other big shrub, for that matter).

I want to look out of my study at my north facing fence and see this covered in tassels in the winter.

Is it possible?
    (If it is, I guess that a small plant would be best to start to train?)...

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Have I had too much to drink or are you talking about Garrya or cowslip or joke???

3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes definately the former! The latter likes to grow against a wall mine is "James Roof" not sure about espalier, my tassels are not as good as the book says they sould be!

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I grow a Garrya - and I don't think it will do very well as an espallier. Its quite slow growing, and doesn't have the flexible new growth the fruit trees have. It will grow happily against a wall or fence - and mine hasn't seemed to bulk out much - sadly got badly frosted one winter, and I lost two branches - but the remainder is still doing OK

You could try growing it in a container to restrict the roots, and keep compact

5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Given my time again, I would not bother to grow it a to all! Any tips Fran would be much appreciated.

6. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine took a few years to get established noy it is growing 2-3 feet a year. I cut it back on two sides to get past it.

I cut it back quite late last year and didn't get so many tassels. They must grow on last years growth.

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The only tips I can give in respect growing it is to grow it in a sheltered position - away from cold wind, and with some protection from hard frosts. Mine was doing quite well - but two of the branches died back following a very late and very hard frost. The remaining branch is doing OK - with the exception of dealing with the damage, I have left it undisturbed as I haven't needed to prune it etc - so don't know when to or how to to avoid losing the tassels.

8. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Like holly they have male and female plants. The male catkins are longer and more attractive whilst the females have dark purple berries later in the year.

I was looking at one today and it's planted beside a wall. The top that grows above the wall (6ft.)has suffered wind and frost damage but the lower part has faired better.