General advice needed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Pookie, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Pookie

Pookie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could any one give me advice about what to grow in a little border next to my house it faces north east (I think)

2. lisa0307

lisa0307 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How big is your border, would you prefer evergreen shrubs, flowers or annuals? What is the soil like and what is growing well in your garden.

3. Pookie

Pookie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lisa

The boarder is just over a foot wide and about 4 foot long, at the moment there are primroses in it, I dont like these I think they are a bit dead looking, the soil is a bit shallow and rockie at the moment, I was going to try and de-stone the soil in the spring and hopefully add some more composty stuff. I was hoping for a bit of evergreen/shrubs, did think about making it into a bit od a heather patch.

4. lisa0307

lisa0307 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How about Lavenders? Heathers are ok but some prefer acid soils so you will need to add lots of acid compost. What about Heuchera Palace purple or any of the Heuchera family, there are lots to choose from and they look lovely. Hebes, lots of different ones.Euonymus. Does it get sun and for how long during the day?