General purpose (vegetable) fertiliser?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Drahcir, May 16, 2023.

1. Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,006
    I've got some rather old pelleted chicken manure, plus some granular Growmore. I have no access this year to rotted manure, compost etc, so I'm looking for cost-effective agricultural (possibly liquid) fertiliser, maybe NPK+S, that I can get in single 25kg or 10L. Any ideas?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    You can by growmore in those plastic buckets and also chicken manure, its not cheap nowdays though.
    I dont use liquid feed other than for pots.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      Depending on the quantity involved, you can get bagged composted manure. Just a word of caution though, there have been cases of Aminopyralid contamination, indeed I was unfortunate to acquire some myself. The good news is that you can test for it by carrying out a bean test.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,690
        I grow a patch of comfrey which I use to make a liquid feed for my veg patch.

• Like Like x 1
        • Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,006
          Noticed someone with bagged "farmyard manure" today. Looks expensive! I was thinking about using comfrey, but I haven't got any. Is there any reason I shouldn't use grass clippings similarly to make liquid feed?

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +22,468
          You can get liquid Growmore from some suppliers.
          Grass clippings are sometimes used as a mulch around shrubs and bushes, but I haven't heard of them being used to make a liquid feed.
          Nettles can be used as can comfrey; stinks though and remember to dilute.
          Comfrey "Bocking 14" is often used as this is a sterile form and so doesn't selfseed all over the place.
          Comfrey is deep rooted and is supposed to bring up trace elements from the lower soil levels.
          Comfrey has been used as a herbal medicine, typically as a poultice to aid healing of cuts and broken bones.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +48,690
          Comfrey is the best to make a liquid feed , it was bred as a high nutrition fodder crop and the leaves contain a high proportion of potassium, ideal for promoting flowers. Grass has some nitrogen and would probably make a sludge to do more harm than good.

As Nigel says, nettles are an alternative as is borage.