1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Geoff Hamilton-the gardeners gardener

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lollipop, Aug 26, 2008.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again.

Just watching Gardeners World on Uk gardens and seen him doing a quick lesson on cuttings. The man was amazing.

Chatting about weaning cuttings off their polythene bags. I love the old gardeners worlds for his episodes.

2. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Your soppy, but I'm with you all the way...he was great.:thumb:

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Agree, sadly most the tv gardeners now are mere presenters rather than knowledgabe gardeners.

4. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i love monty hes got real mans hands..ur up late pro

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    He has the same thing going-but Geoffs the star of gardeners world for me anyway.

I agree about the tv presenter thing, I don`t even mind the specials really, just teach us something is what I say. You learn something every time Geoff so much as mutters something.

6. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Cause he is still waiting for you to bring his horlicks up.:p

7. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well, showing my age of course, but Percy Throwup was the man for me.:thumb:

8. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Didn`t he do something dodgy that got him fired-some sort of weedkiller advert or something?

10. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: Lollipop I have to agree Geoff Hamilton was the best I think too, although I too remember Percy very well to.. He was a ground breaking gardener of his time really & worked for royalty most of his life.. He became famous for his work in WW2 in the "Dig for Victory" campaign..
    After that he acquired some land of his own, built a house, which he called "The Magnolias" & opened the gardens to the BBc & the public... He was the "Guru" until his downfall...
    The BBC summarily dropped PercyThrower when in 1975, he agreed to a contract with Plant Products, a subsidiary of ICI, for a series of commercials. He did this in the full knowledge of what the repercussions would be with the BBC, and later said it was the best contract he ever signed. The Beeb sacked him..!!!!:rolleyes::D Lots of people remember Percy for the Blue Peter garden too I think as he introduced gardening to so many..!!!;):D He died in '88 of Hodgkin's disease.. Quite a guy in actual fact if you read up on him..:)

11. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,867
    Ahh Geoff Hamilton The best I have all his Videos and am in the process of recording them on to D V D,s And spend many winter hours watching them ,he gets me through the winter months,his voice and the way he seems to be talking directly at you and not at a Camera he was the Best:thumb::)

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Always Geoff for me I loved his little chuckles and his technics, it truely was as if you were a personal friend of his and he was showing you around his garden.

A man with a true passion for gardening his enthusiasm was very addictive and its thanks to him that I too found a great love of gardening. Hel.xxx.

13. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    I met Percy Thrower at the Southport flower show bout 1959 I think, an absolute charmer and very approachable.

14. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a book by Geoff Hamilton and its brilliant