Geraniaceae Pelargonium Vancouver Centennial Geranium

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by capney, Jun 4, 2009.

1. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Went to the nursery this morning for a friend and came away with this little beauty. Plan is to take a few cuttings later and fill in a few spaces.
    robert

[​IMG]

2. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Oh my word, my neighbour has just bought that too I think. Forget what she called it, certainly wasn't a long name like that,lol but I'm sure it was for indoors - does that sound right? Really pretty plant.

Have you got any gaps, cap? Don't believe it,:) Sure you will make some though!

cheers

3. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Forgot to ask - why is it called pelargonium & geranium? I thought they were the same thing but sure I remember reading on here that they are not and that gardeners got annoyed if you called a pelargonium a geranium????

Whatever - it's nice! Is it perennial or an annual? Excuse my ignorance, well you know me by now lol.

cheers

4. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Always make room for something as nice as that:gnthb:
    robert

5. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    'Vancouver Centennial' is a zonal cultivar bearing gold leaves with a brown center splash. Bears single red-orange flowers in clusters. This plant is commonly called a geranium, which can be confusing. The genus is Pelargonium, though there is a completely different group of plants with the genus name Geranium, which are commonly called Cranesbills. Remove dead flowers to promote new growth. Excellent container or border plant. Good houseplant.
    ( Not my words borrowers. I snitched it from the w.w.w )

Pelargonium (pronounced /ˌpɛlɑrˈɡoʊniəm/)[1] is a genus of flowering plants which includes about 200 species of perennials, succulents, and shrubs, commonly known as geraniums or storksbills. Confusingly, Geranium is the correct botanical name of a separate genus of related plants often called Cranesbills. Both genera are in the Family Geraniaceae. Linnaeus originally included all the species in one genus, Geranium, but they were later separated into two genera by Charles Lâ??Héritier in 1789. Gardeners sometimes refer to the members of Genus Pelargonium as "pelargoniums" in order to avoid the confusion, but the older common name "geranium" is still in regular use. ( Thanks to Wikapedia)
    Confused????? I am:scratch:

robert

6. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Remember me? the plant with big long name Geraniaceae Pelargonium Vancouver Centennial
    Well...would you look at me now. I have a flower:gnthb:
    [​IMG]