Germinating Parsley

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by silu, May 9, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I didn't get great germination from my Parsley seed last year but enough to do.
    Partly because I forgot to sow it:doh:, partly because I'm late and wanted to see if there was a quick germination "trick" and partly as the seed is well passed it's sell by date, I had a look on the net and found this site www.wikihow.com growing herbs and spices. I've tried copying the exact link but it doesn't seem to work. Anyway,I tried the soaking method with washing up liquid and then really hot water etc as described by wikihow. I did this 2 days ago. BINGO I tried this method on 18 seeds and I can see already that all 18 are going to spring into life. They're now sown in seed compost and all being well they should be up within days. If by some chance they don't appear I'll report back but so far so very good.This seems a great way to speed up the process, maybe it works with other seeds too?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Yes thanks @Steve R :). No doubt I didn't "do" it right! Just as well I'm more knowledgeable about plants than computers as I have a huge garden and if I was as useless at gardening as I am with computers we'd have a jungle not a garden!

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,996
        I've never known about wu liquid, only just soaked in warm water for 24 hours. Drying on paper sounds likely to get the seeds stuck to it. I tap the wet seeds out the seive onto a small amount of seed compost, mix them around in it and then spread the seed/compost mixture to ensure an even spacing of seeds.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        That could be handy, still got 3 billion parsley seeds that @joolz68 sent me a few years back. Mind you, a load has self seeded in the cold frame this year.

• Funny Funny x 1
        • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,385
          I forgot about that zigs, Daz fetched them all home for us :) ,loads of seeds packets off returning magazines from a shop that i do now work in,not seen one seed packet going begging in the 18 month ive worked there :) x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Gave them out left right and centre, think I've got about 4 packets left :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
            • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,385
              We are having re furburbs both sides of the motorway,im hoping for lots more goodies off the mags soon,fingers crossed for more gardening mag give aways :):SUNsmile: i shall pass on the parsley :heehee:

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
              Ratings:
              +3,698
              In fairness, the article does state dry on WAX paper so I guess they wont stick to that. But I have done the same as you scrungee for the last few years and it does work although it seems to take forever.

Thanks to zigs (and joolz) I still have a few packets of parsley seeds so I will start some off today following this newer sowing method, see if I can replicate silu's quick results.

Steve...:)