germinating sweetpea seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by amateural, May 25, 2009.

1. amateural

amateural Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Please can anyone help in a trusted method of germinating sweetpea seeds. I have had 48 brand new seed and followed the instuctions about soaking them ovenioght in hot water, the have put them into my promagator to germinate and have only 7 germinated which are now in the greenhouse. Should i have put them in a flask or was the water to hot or should i have planted them normally

thanks

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I chit them on damp kitchen paper in a Tupperware box. As soon as a sprout appears I transfer them one-per-pot. I get close to 100% germination this way, but of those I would say that 10-15% never develop well enough to make good plants.

If your garden centre has pots-of-germinated-seedlings they may well wind up cheaper than buying seed, let alone attempting to grow them:

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/cheap-ish-sweet-21479.html?t=21479

3. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    I don't soak them in hot water just luke warm, that could have been the problem.
    Then I sew three seeds into 3" pots, it seems to work for me mostly but this year didn't get 100% germination, sewing any seeds is a gamble but a challenge! will they won't they?!!

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I collected my seeds last year from plants I'd bought on a dry day and left them to dry in the sun. This year I soaked overnight in water and have had a 70% germination record.

I've noticed sweetpeas seem to take forever before they sprout...to the extent you think they aren't going to appear at all, although they're faster indoors.

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    For me ( and I have never tried any other method). the best way is to sow the seeds on my birthday-the 18the of October, and to let the magical fingers of my daughter do the work, push them in up to my ( her) first knuckle and away they go.

Maybe it is my daughter that does it-but I have an alkmost 100% successful germination rate.

Other than that, I advocate patience.

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Same here!...I just poke them in the soil were I want them to grow and then make sure there is a supply of organic slug pellets for the blighters to feast on:)...to date they are growing well and begining to clad my obelisk!:gnthb:

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    You sow the seeds on my birthday Nick-well I never knew that................

8. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi chums. I found that if I just whack 'em in, they grow :D

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    T'is the true beauty of sweetpeas.