getting amarylis to flower again

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by B17_Fan, Nov 12, 2010.

1. B17_Fan

B17_Fan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My amarylis has been in our greenhouse since it finished flowering after christmas time. The leaves have grown but there's no sign of any flower stem. I have brought it indoors to try to encourage it to grow. Could anyone give me advice on how to encourage the plant to flower again this year?
    Thanks

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I think the idea is to let it get very dry after flowering - so let the foliage die right down, and then just put the pot on its side so it doesn't get any water - and then water in the Autumn, or now, or whenever it comes back into leaf, and that's when ti will flower.

if you have nurtured it all Summer with nice strapping leaves then I expect ti looks very healthy, but I don;t think that will encourage it to flower - but it should have built up a good flower bud, in the bulb, and that will flower when it is ready (but I don't think you will be able to force it)

3. jennylyn

jennylyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    :cry:Wish i had some good news to help with your bulb! I have numerous times tried unsuccessfully to get an amaryllis to flower again - even tried talking nicely to it...no of course that did not work either! If anyone out there does know the secret please let me know too!
    Jen.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,980
    Hippeastrums are sold around Christmas time and we grow them in the house and force them to flower.
    Problem is its not their normal flowering time if given normal greenhouse temperatures.

I usually get flowers in June, thats by growing them in a greenhouse, and putting the pots outside from May till late September.
    In October I dry them off and keep frost free until April.

It works, this pot full is more than 20 yrs old.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Grumpy

Grumpy Gardener

Ratings:
      +59
      :love30: