Getting there slowly but yet another Q!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fumanchu, Mar 25, 2024.

1. fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
    Ratings:
    +438
    Definitely taking shape now, but slowly as the weather here is very wet and very cold. What I'm after now, is a climber for a very dry corner. Sheltered by the house and a 6ft fence, facing south-east. We had to lift out the stuff that was in there, as it kept flopping with thirst so it must be very dry from the house wall. I love roses but think they need a fair bit of water? Anything fragrant and flowery that will climb up 6ft. Not a buddleia though as there's one next to it.

2. Panda2

Panda2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +139
    Hi

You would have to keep your eye on this for a year or so but Star Jasmine are lovely & evergreen for me so perhaps worth considering. I’m not in Scotland so someone who is may be better able to advise.
    How to grow trachelospermum / RHS Gardening

There is a new variant, Winter Ruby, that is supposed to be hardier, down to -17. I planted one last year beside my existing Jasmine where it slightly less sheltered and it seems to be doing well so far although I would like to see the growth rate this year.

Buy star jasmine Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Winter Ruby ('Trared') (PBR)'

• Like Like x 1
    • Emerion

Emerion Gardener

Ratings:
      +67
      Passiflora incarnata ? It’s a passion flower that is frost hardy down to -15°C or so, and tolerates drought. However, it will spread when it’s happy, so might need to be kept in check.

• Like Like x 1